Saturday, October 22, 2016

2016 Summer Vacation - Colorado (Day 4)

Day 4 was an early day!  We had tickets on the 8:00 cog train up to Pike's peak!  We had to leave our rental house at 6:45!  This is the part of the vacation that we were all most excited about.  The girls thought it was pretty cool that we had to pack winter coats for our summer vacation!  It was 66 degrees outside at the bottom and they said it would be 33 degrees at the top!  Us native Texans were cold!!! ;)





Again, we had a lot of waiting time, so that means lots of pictures!


I have to include this picture because this is typical Meredith.  Something is wrong or someone did something or she's bored so this is the face she makes. ;)

Finally, our train arrived!


While waiting for the train to leave the station, Meredith was getting really impatient until we saw the hummingbirds!  They kept her distracted for 5-10 minutes until we left.



I knew it would be cold at the top of train, but I hadn't planned on the train having the windows down for the entire 1 hour and 20 minutes UP!  I was thinking we would only need our jackets for the 30 minutes at the top, so I didn't pack any other winter accessories.  Instead we were cold (and just got colder) for the 1 hour 20 minutes up, 30 minutes at the top and then probably about an hour for the way down!  Meredith wasn't a fan of the cold and complained for most of the time.  So, that was fun. She spent her time huddled against me and Brandon even gave her his coat for her legs. Miranda and Mackenzie had fun though!


I don't know what I was expecting to see with the mountain, but I have to say that I was spurpised at all of the rocks and boulders stacked on top of each other.  I guess I was just imagining one HUGE rock.  Silly I know, but I guess that was in my head.

So pretty as we got further up on the mountain!



This was about 5-10 mintues from the top and it was very rocky AND had a little snow!  Apparently it wasn't there the day before, so we got very lucky!


This picture kind of shows the incline up.

We finally made it to the top...14,115 feet above sea level.


At the top, the girls were pretty excited to see snow!



Views from the top of Pike's Peak!





And these are from the top once we were back on the train about to head down!


The weirdest thing happened on the way down.  Miranda finished her snack on the train just before we headed down and then proceeded to fall into a deep sleep.  This was unusual because it was only 10 in the morning and she rarely naps anymore.  I got a little concerned..,to the point that I put my cold hand on her chest under her shirt and coat.  She barely responded, but I could feel she was breathing, so we just waited it out.

About 30-40 minutes back down, she coughed (she already had a cough that entire week) and woke up bright eyed and happy.  All we can figure is that the lack of oxygen just made her sleepy and then once we got lower with more oxygen in the air, she woke up.  It was really crazy to me.  There's nothing like worrying about your child having some sort of medical emergency when you are on a cog train that takes more than an hour to get to the base.

But seeing this smiling face across the way eases your worry a little!


Once everyone was awake...and warmer...they had fun for the last part of the ride.


After the train we picked up lunch and took it back to the house.  On the way home we saw the strangest intersection every.  Everyone is driving on the correct side of the road before the over pass and then the light switches all the cars to the opposite side of the road for the overpass.  I think it's supposed to help with left turns and u-turns on the highway, but it was so weird.  The picture doesn't completely do it justice, but I found this, if you want to see the craziness defined.

Once at home, we had a fun afternoon and evening playing games and watching the Olympics.

Apparently, I didn't even want to clean Miranda's face before taking pictures of her!

The girls really enjoyed Jenga.

And that's the end of Day 4!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment and let me know you were here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...