Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Easter Fun with Eggs and Peeps

Since it's almost Mother's Day, I thought I'd post about Easter! Ha!  Since, Mackenzie was out of school for Good Friday, we used that time to dye eggs.  We tried lots of different ideas...nail polish, shaving cream, rubber cement, dye q-tips, hot glue gun, melted crayons and regular dye.  Some of them worked very well and others not so much. ;)

We tried the nail polish first, but it didn't turn out very well.
When I tried to marbleize the polish it clumped together and made more of a blob.
However, I did it later without "help" from the girls and it turned out much better.  I think the trick is to work fast before the nail polish can dry.  Plus, I used my better quality nail polish - not sure if it really made a difference, but compared to the above photos it seems to have worked.  the only down side to this method, is that it only covers half the egg.


I didn't buy any sort of dyeing kit, so we just used food coloring, vinegar and water.  We tried an hombre look first, by adding water little by little.  If we had been more patient, I think they could have worked better, but with a 3 year old and 6 year old, patience isn't our best trait. ;)


I tried the rubber cement trick and it turned out ok, but it took off most of the orange color I had dyed first.
My mom brought the girls dye q-tips and they had fun coloring a couple eggs.

I think the girls had the most fun with the shaving cream! ;)  The eggs are buried under all that shaving cream, I promise.
It didn't marbleize it like I thought it would, but it made them super smooth! Ha!

The rubber cement and hot glue glue are similar, but the hot glue was much easier to pull off!
I did it a couple of times, but I didn't do the colors very well and the original colors started to fade.  Either way, it turned out kind of cool.


Actually, the first style we did that day was crayons on hot eggs.  As soon as I pulled the eggs out of the pot, we put them in the egg crates and colored on them.  This was really cool and the wax melted really easily.


Another fun activity we did that day was microwave peeps!
They get really big and fat! ;)
But, the minute the microwave stops, they deflate!  This is a before and after.  Look how much the bunny grew!
The chick was a little different, but maybe that's because it wasn't a flat shape like the bunny.

On Saturday, we also had fun with small glow sticks in white plastic eggs that my mom bought us.  We didn't actually do a glow in the dark egg hunt, but we did have fun in the closet. ;)






We still have more of these, so I'm sure we'll be doing this again next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment and let me know you were here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...