Friday, June 13, 2014

Photography Challenge - Day 06

I cannot believe it is taking me so long to complete this challenge!  I am not pulling out my camera as much as I should. :(  However, I just bought new photo editing software and I am LOVING it!  It made editing these photos SOOOOO much easier.  Hopefully, I can blog more often now that it won't take me so long to edit photos.

Anyways, moving on with the photography challenge.  I was working on spot metering and learning new controls on my camera while shooting the girls playing outside.  I've probably blogged about these photos in a regular post, but these will be my before edit and after edit photos.  If you want to join in the challenge fun, go buy Courtney's ebook and start taking pictures today! Or if you just want some photography tips go check out Click It Up A Notch.  ;)

Challenge 6 - Spot Metering

I had no idea you could change how your camera measured the light.  I thought it was just one of those things it automatically did and you didn't mess with.  Now I know and I don't think I'll ever go back to the automatic setting! ;)  I tried not to edit the photos too much so that you could tell if my metering worked.  In some cases it was pretty good, but in a couple of them I think I put the meter on a darker colored object and had an over exposed picture.  However, in my defense, I was taking pictures of moving subjects! ;)

As usual, all the pictures below include my straight out of camera image (left or top) and my edited image (right or bottom).  I used my Canon EFS 18-135mm  and EFS 50mm lenses to take all of the photos.  I'll list the details of each shot below if you are interested.

This is one where I was pretty "spot" on. ;)  I adjusted it a little and cropped it during editing.
50mm   f/4.5    1/250ss    ISO-200


Just a little color tweak...
50mm   f/4.5    1/250ss    ISO-200

Typical Meredith...
50mm   f/4.5    1/250ss    ISO-200


One of my favorites.  Tweaked the angle and the color balance.
50mm   f/4.5    1/250ss    ISO-200


This one was a little over exposed so I might have metered her hair or even her eyes for it to have lightened her skin so much.
50mm   f/5.6    1/125ss    ISO-200

Not sure I did much of anything on this photo except tweak the white balance just a hair.
50mm   f/5.6    1/250ss    ISO-200



This is one where I must have focused on something super light in the photo - like the ball, or I didn't adjust my shutter speed.  Since the shutter speed is so high, I might have just forgotten to look at my light meter. :/
126mm   f/5.6    1/1250ss    ISO-100


Another one of my favorites and another that didn't really need adjusting...
135mm   f/5.6    1/100ss    ISO-100


This one is one that is over exposed.  I'm thinking I must have had my meter set at the top or bottom and it focused on the blue jeans or the tree leaves.  Either way, photo editing software to the rescue! ;)
29mm   f/5.6    1/100ss    ISO-100

Challenge 6 complete!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment and let me know you were here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...