Sunday, April 27, 2014

Photography Challenge - Day 4

I've completed 5 days of Courtney's 30 day photography challenge from Click-it Up a Notch and am really getting the hang of shooting in manual mode! I shoot manual for all of my pictures now, not just for the challenges.  It takes a little more time, but I'm still getting enough pictures of the girls and other activities.  If you would like to improve your photography skills, I highly recommend you buy this pdf.  I'm not even 20% complete with it and I already love it and think it has helped so much just in these first 5 challenges!

Although I have completed 5 days, this post is only about Day 4!

Challenge 4 - Window lighting

I was trying to do "portraits" of the girls next to the windows in our house, but there isn't much space near the windows in our house, so I don't have too many photos.  This time, Meredith was the uncooperative one, so I only have pictures of Mackenzie and Miranda.

 Here are my photos I took as part of the challenge:


All the pictures below include my straight out of camera image (left or top) and my edited image (right or bottom).  I used my Canon EF 50mm lens to take all of the photos.  I'll list the details of each shot below if you are interested.

Mackenzie - even though it's a posed smile, I like this picture because she didn't squint her eyes while she was smiling.  Based on the info below, I probably could have bumped the ISO and shutter speed down and still had enough light for the same photo.  This is a learning process!
50mm   f/2    1/800ss    ISO-1600

I'm not sure what was said, but I love her goofy faces as much as I love her sweet faces.  And I guess I did learn from the above picture because I ended up lowering the ISO for this photo! ;)
50mm   f/3.2    1/160ss    ISO-400

As you can see, I didn't edit these photos too much.  Just enough to pop the colors of her rainbow dress.  Otherwise I'm pretty happy with the skin tone.  I think one of the future challenges is about white balance and skin tone, so I'm curious to see how I will feel about these pictures after I do that challenge and learn how to "do" all that! ;)
50mm   f/5    1/30ss    ISO-400

Miranda sitting up like a big girl!  Again, just a slight pop in the editing.
50mm   f/3.2    1/160030ss    ISO-1600

Miranda's half smile.
50mm   f/3.2    1/640ss    ISO-1600


50mm   f/3.2    1/800ss    ISO-1600


Mackenzie cooperated twice!  I cropped this photo a little more in order to hide some of the junk in the back of the photo.  I don't mind the piano, but the storage boxes don't help the photo! ;)  Again, I should have tried lowering the ISO, but I either didn't think of it or I did and didn't like the photos that followed.  I haven't looked at the details of the other photos to see what I did.  I should probably do that.
50mm   f/3.2    1/500ss    ISO-1600

I'm ready to learn more - moving onto the next lesson!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment and let me know you were here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...