Sunday, March 16, 2014

Photography Challenge - Day 2

I am loving Click it up a Notch.  Courtney has such great blog topics and I'm learning a lot about taking photos, even if it's only pictures of my 3 silly girls. Today I'm sharing photos from Day 2 of Courtney's photography challenge e-book.  I really like the tips broken down into one challenge at a time.  It's much easier to learn to take better pictures if you only have to focus on one concept at a time.  Especially, when I'm still getting the hang of adjusting my f-stop, shutter speed and ISO.

Challenge 2 - Catchlights

Brown or blue, I love looking at my daughters' eyes.  I especially love seeing "the light" in their eyes.  This challenge helped me to accomplish that in my photos.  As before, I took A LOT of photos over the course of several days.



All the pictures below include my straight out of camera image (left or top) and my edited image (right or bottom).  I used my Canon 50mm lens to take all of the photos, but I'll list the details of each shot below if you are interested.

This first photo didn't capture any catchlights, but I love it, so it's here. ;)
Meredith playing outside.
f/2.5    1/4000ss    ISO-200

Well, at least you can see one eye...which is typical!
f/2.0    1/640ss    ISO-100


Mackenzie smiled for me for this challenge!
f/2.0    1/100ss    ISO-1600

Meredith doing what she loves - playing dress up!  I think I washed out the photo a little too much during editing, but I can fix that.
f/1.8    1/160ss    ISO-1600


This is her pose she does when showing anyone her knew clothes!  The photo was a little dark, so I lightened it up a bit in editing.
f/2.5    1/160ss    ISO-1600

Mackenzie was a butterfly and was a little hard to photograph while "flying" around. ;)
f/2.0    1/160ss    ISO-1600


We call this the scared butterfly! ;)  I've said this before, but since Brandon has brown eyes, I never figured my children would have blue eyes like me, so I love seeing her blue eyes in pictures.
f/2.0    1/160ss    ISO-1600


Of course, Meredith had to imitate laying down in the chair.  I love her eyes too!
f/2.0    1/160ss    ISO-1600


Another cute close up of Mackenzie.  I used a photo effect I found online to edit this photo, but now I cannot figure out which one I used.
f/2.0    1/250ss    ISO-1600

There's the baby!  I couldn't get her to quit grabbing her shirt, but changing it to B&W or chocolate eliminated those pesky wrinkles. You don't see her blue eyes anymore (another blue-eyed child!), but you can still see the catchlights!
f/2.0    1/125ss    ISO-1600


Mackenzie jumped in for a silly face and I still managed to get a good picture of her.  You can faintly see Miranda's blue shirt in the background behind her hair!
f/2.0    1/200ss    ISO-1600


Miranda is not always a fan of tummy time!
f/2.0    1/200ss    ISO-1600


But two minutes later, she realizes it's not that bad! ;)
f/2.0    1/320ss    ISO-1600


Day 2 complete!  Tomorrow we go to the museum and I'm going to attempt to shoot on manual mode while out and about.  We shall see how that goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment and let me know you were here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...