Saturday, February 22, 2014

Valentine's Day

Brandon surprised all of us with flowers on Valentine's Day!  I gave all three girls books and Brandon gave me this beautiful necklace with the girls names on it.

The picture isn't very good since I took it while I was wearing the necklace, but I love it!

In January I decided that since Valentine's Day was on a Friday, I would let the girls have a small party where they could invite a few of their friends.  Really, Mackenzie invited her friends and since all 3 of them have siblings Meredith's age, she had friends too!  At Christmas I discovered the nail stuck in the wall from the previous owners was perfect for one of our wreaths.  It was also perfect for our Valentine's wreath I bought a couple of years ago and never hung up!  I think this spot will become our wreath spot for all of the holidays.  Now to find 10 more wreaths for the remainder of the year! ;)
The party was really just a large playdate with a few organized activities.  I had a craft table where I just gathered different crafting supplies for everyone to make valentines' if they wanted to.  I had all of these supplies and only bought a couple of packages each of pipe cleaners and pom poms from the Target dollar spot!
The girls loved crafting!

I originally planned to make my own chocolate and strawberry playdough.  But it didn't happen that morning between getting everything/everyone ready and nursing/caring for Miranda.  So, we pulled out the playdough we already had.  I'd say it was still a big hit based on the amount of play dough that was on the ground after the party. ;)
The final activity was playing with sensory bins.
The smaller bin was the same exact one we used last year.  (Read I didn't change out the beans for entire year.)  I did add some heart erasers and heart chain link things.
The larger sensory bin had colored ice cream salt, fake rose petals (dollar store), valentine erasers and fabric hearts I picked up at the dollar store.
The ice cream salt is fun and super easy to color.  I colored 3 different boxes with varying amounts of food coloring.  The day I made it I heard Meredith coughing/gagging because she decided to see what it tasted like.  :/  We had to have a discussion on not putting sensory bin items in our mouth! (On a side note, that same day Meredith had tried to eat a lime at the grocery store and had made the same sound.  I guess lime rind doesn't taste very good.)
I'm pretty sure everyone liked the sensory bins...again, based on the mess. ;)


Earlier in the week, Mackenzie and I made a banner to hang up.  Another Target dollar spot find.
I made heart shaped peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for the kids, along with other finger foods.

The big girls...
The little kids...

These dairy free sugar cookies were delicious!  I may or may not have eaten the other half of the unbaked cookie dough all by itself over the next couple of days. The kiddos had a lot to choose from when it came to decorating the cookies.
The moms that came to this party were awesome!  They helped out so much when it came to the food and activities.  The big girls really enjoyed decorating their cookies.  They used LOTS of sprinkles! I'm also surprised they ate a cookie with so many different candies on it. ;)


The little kids enjoyed it too!
Meredith decided it was easier to decorate the icing on her plate and then try to spread that onto her cookie! ;)




And just because Miranda slept through most of the party, I had to take her picture at the end of the day when she was no longer wearing her matching pants! ;)

Note to self: when taking VALENTINES pictures, don't have child lay on a CHRISTMAS blanket! ;)  Well, that's Valentine's 2014!  Next year, Mackenzie will be in Kindergarten and have her own party, but maybe we can still do something for Meredith and Miranda.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE!!! It is so fun to make a big deal out of holidays... moments they will never forget!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment and let me know you were here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...