Wednesday, January 1, 2014

My word for 2014

This year I decided to do something a little different with my New Year goal setting - finding that one little word to think on and focus on all year long.  I've thought about doing this before, but never felt I had a word that could describe how I felt starting the new year.  However, this year a word popped right into my head.  I knew it wasn't the exact word I wanted to use, but it gave me enough encouragement to look for just the right word.  I wanted a word that expressed my goals for my family, friends & life (both physically and spiritually).  I started with "interact", but I knew that wasn't right.  My goals were more than just hopeful interaction with people.  I thought I wanted to "engage", "cherish" or "express my love" in each of these areas, but none of those words seemed quite right.  While they are all actions I want to do this year, they didn't fully encompass all of my goals.  Then it hit me:

EMBRACE

According to Webster's dictionary, embrace means:
: to hold someone in your arms as a way of expressing love or friendship
: to accept (something or someone) readily or gladly
: to use (an opportunity) eagerly

Synonyms are: enfold, encircle, grab, cling

I know this is kind of an all-encompassing word.  It can mean a lot and it does.  I could say that I want to EMBRACE life in general - daily activites, health and spiritual life.  But, I want to take it to the next level and EMBRACE more specific things in my life.
 
I want to EMBRACE Brandon and our marriage.  We'll celebrate our 13th wedding anniversary this summer.  I want to EMBRACE that special love we have for each other that has kept us together for 13 years and will keep us together forever.

I want to EMBRACE my girls.  Not just physically, but the memories we share, their personalities, their stories, activities, funny words/phrases - everything about what they do.  I want to listen, enjoy and engage in conversations with them that allow me to cherish everything about them and EMBRACE my life as a momma and ALL that it entails.  God has given me and Brandon a great responsibility to raise these three girls and I intend to EMBRACE that responsibility with my whole heart.

I want to EMBRACE my extended family and friends.  I'm not always great with communication and keeping in contact with friends and family.  This year I want to focus on those relationships - both old and new - and build them up.  Sending cards, emails, having phone conversations, anything to hold our relationships together and make them stronger.

I want to EMBRACE God and my spiritual life.  I want to read more, study more, pray more and be proactive in my walk with God.  I want to EMBRACE all that he has blessed me with and use my "talents" to bless others.

I have even more specific goals for the new year, but I won't go into detail here on the blog.  Just know that my word for the year is EMBRACE and I intend to "embrace" all that it has to offer! ;)

I encourage you to find a word for the year.  I think it will be great to look back in 12 months and see how my life was blessed just by trying to focus on one word!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment and let me know you were here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...