Friday, October 11, 2013

Sewing Project: Carseat Canopy

My grandmother gave me her old sewing machine just after Meredith was born, 2 years ago because I had a plan to make my own DIY Moby wrap (baby sling).  I hadn't sewn since 8th grade, so my friend came over that spring (2012) for a quick reminder tutorial.  I never pulled the sewing machine back out and therefore never made the wrap. :/  When I found out I was pregnant again, I decided this was my chance to try again.  I made a list of several sewing projects I wanted to complete: Moby wrap, car seat canopy and camera strap cover were at the top.  Brandon was all for these DIY projects until he discovered I hadn't sewn in 19 years.  I believe his exact words were, "I don't think your first trial sewing project should be something that holds our baby." :)  I agreed to start with the camera strap and car seat canopy first, so we bought the supplies back in May.

I cut the fabric for the canopy in June and never got any further.

I had intended to get past the girls' birthday party at the end of August and then sew the canopy, however we all no that didn't work out since Miranda showed up early.  Last weekend I realized Miranda was about to be 6 weeks old and I still had no cover for her car seat.  I also knew I would only want to use the canopy for the first 4 or 5 months when I want to keep the germs away, so I decided to complete the project.  I sewed the straps together and the canopy itself together on Saturday afternoon between two of Miranda's bottles.  Then on Sunday I sewed the straps to the canopy and finished the project!



It was a fairly easy project and I'm so glad I made it.  It's not perfect, but it's not coming apart, so that's something! ;)  Next up is my camera strap cover, which should be super simple compared to the canopy.  Now that I can sew again, I think I might need to go peruse Pinterest! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment and let me know you were here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...