Monday, August 5, 2013

The Day the Crayons Quit

A few weeks ago, my mother bought the girls some new books.  One of them became our current favorite book.  We read it about 12-15 times in the first week we had it!  It's called "The Day the Crayons Quite" by Drew Daywalt.
It's about a box of crayons that write letters to their owner telling why they are happy or unhappy.  For example, Beige Crayon is tired of only being used to color wheat.  He is also proud to be beige and doesn't like being called light brown or tan!

Green is super happy and loves coloring dinosaurs, crocodiles and trees.

Pink is a little upset because she is never used, except by the little boy's sister.  She is not just a girls color and would like to be used more.
And the girls favorite color of all is Peach Crayon.  He is very upset about having his paper peeled off of him.  He thinks he's naked and is too embarrassed to leave the crayon box!  They laugh every time I read this letter!

So imagine my excitement when I saw that Barnes and Noble was having a story time for this book a couple of weeks ago.  I new the girls would love it, so even though we had a hectic time getting there (it started one hour after swim and was about 40 minutes away).  We got there just in time and were actually only one of 3 families there making up half of the kids.

They had nooks for us to use while the lady read the book.  Meredith really liked looking at the nook and wouldn't let Mackenzie touch it!
Mackenzie was fairly content just to sit and listen to the book.
Afterwards, everyone was given a box of crayons and each family (since there were only 3 of us) got a large piece of paper to color.
We stayed the longest and even got to take home the book poster they had hanging on the wall.  I guess I hadn't taken Mackenzie to a book store in a while, if at all, so she asked me if it was like a library.  She was a little disappointed when I told her we couldn't bring a lot of books home, since we would have to pay for them, but was happy to know that she could make more noise in the bookstore than in the library.  Apparently, that was a good enough trade off! ;)  I think I need to pay attention to a little more to the bookstore events to see if there are other story times with books we have and love.

So, if you haven't seen this book, I highly recommend it!  I'm sure there are many more evenings in our future of reading this book and I'm looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment and let me know you were here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...