Tuesday, July 30, 2013

I hate viruses!

From about 9 months of age to about 2 1/2 years, Mackenzie got sick about every 3 months. Four or five of those illnesses were strep, of which two or three started as a virus that led to strep throat.  Then for about a year we had no illnesses, which was great since Meredith was a baby in that time.  Then last summer Mackenzie got strep again.  At the time I thought, once a year illness isn't too bad - I can do this.  Apparently I spoke to soon!

Just after Easter both girls got sick with a virus that Brandon brought home first.  Everyone got over the fever in a two days, but then Mackenzie's popped back up with a vengeance.  Turns out she had an ear infection because of all the drainage.  Six weeks later Mackenzie had strep throat again, followed by Meredith getting strep 4 days later.  Now, 2 1/2 months later Mackenzie's sick again! :/

Thursday I thought she was just being whiny while we were running errands, but later in the afternoon I realized she had a 102 fever!  I gave her medicine and made an appointment with the pediatrician for the next morning.  At the doctor I got to hear the wonderful words, "it's just a virus."  I hate viruses!  The obvious reason is that they make my children feel bad, but more annoying is that all you can do is wait it out.  That means 5-7 days of meds and checking temperatures.  This particular virus has been the most annoying of all.  I had already planned to sleep in the guest room with Mackenzie since Brandon was planning to paint her room in preparation for the girls to share a room, so we were already in the same room/bed where I could monitor her temperature and give her medicine throughout the night.  That alone is tiresome, but add to it her congestion that appeared in the last couple of nights and it has made for some miserable, sleepless nights for me.  She can barely breath through her nose, but once she's asleep she doesn't open her mouth to breath, so it's like she's holding her breath for a second or two until her brain makes her open her lips to suck in air quickly through her teeth.  Between the scariness of hearing her breath and her constant movement because she's waking herself up over and over again, I've gotten about 4-5 hours of sleep on 4 of the 5 nights we've slept in the guest bed.  For some that's not too bad, but for this pregnant momma, it's NOT enough! 

Sunday the fever was back up to 102+ with medication in her system, so I knew something else was going on, since it had finally gone down that morning.  We had another doctor's appointment yesterday and they diagnosed her with sinus infection and gave her antibiotics.  She took her first dose yesterday at lunch and we continued to medicate the fever.  I'm happy to say that she hasn't had a fever since last night at 9:00pm.  She's actually still sleeping now as I type this (8:15am), which is very A-typical for her, but I know her body is taking some much needed recovery time.  I know my body needed some rest and I haven't been the sick one!  Last night, I finally got about 7 1/2 hours and it was sooooo nice!

So, now we on the mend and I'm so glad.  Now, if we can just keep Meredith from getting this stupid virus, all will be well! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment and let me know you were here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...