Friday, February 1, 2013

Preschool K3 - Unit 11

I'm finally posting about lessons we completed in January!  This is another week FULL of activities.  I think Mackenzie and I do better when we have a lot to do.  We end up doing school more than just 3 times a week which makes for a better organized/scheduled week.  The synopsis this week:  story of the 12 Israelite spies, letter S, magnifying glasses, winter them and some gross motor skills.

 
Bible:
Our bible story was about the 12 Israelite spies that spied on Canaan.  I had her write the numbers on each spy in order to count to 12.
In the story of the 12 spies, God tells Moses to send 12 spies (1 from each tribe) to spy on Canaan "which I am giving to the Israelites." (Number 13)  10 of the 12 spies say there is no way the Israelites can take over the land and stir the crowd against God's plan.  Caleb & Joshua, however, told the people that God was with them and that they should do as God said and take over Canaan.  He also said in Numbers 14:9, "do not rebel against the Lord. And do not be afraid of the people of the land, because we will devour them. Their protection is gone, but the Lord is with us. Do not be afraid of them."  the Israelites did not listen to Caleb, Joshua, Moses or Aaron and grumbled against God, so God did not let them enter the promised land for another 40 years!

As part of the lesson, we did this little worksheet where she circled the picture of those who were listening to God. 
For those who were not listening to them, she gave them an "extra eye"!  I have no idea why, but she did.  Whatever floats your boat, right?
Our only craft for the bible lesson was to make a bunch of grapes using purple pom poms because of what we read in Numbers 13:23 "cut down from there a branch with a single cluster of grapes, and they carried it on a pole between two of them".


Letter:
I chose the letter S for "spy", but S is also for squirrel and skunk in our Animal ABC's curriculum.  We used our magnetic pom poms rather than dot markers.  She thought it was pretty cool that she could hold the cookie sheet upside down and the paper wouldn't fall!
Gluing her squirrels and skunks on her letters...
Tracing...



Science:
Since we were talking about spies, I thought we'd play with a magnifying glass and look at things outside.
One of my new favorite pictures! ;)
Brandon even joined us one afternoon and taught Mackenzie how to use the magnifying glass to burn holes in leaves!

Theme:
Even though a south Texas January rarely includes snow (as in once every 10 years), it doesn't mean we can't do a winter theme! ;)  I made these snowflake puzzles from 1+1+1=1 last year.  Luckily I laminated them and put then in our winter folder, so it was great to pull them out and have them all ready to work on.
Next came the black and white versions which were a little more difficult to do since several looked very similar.  It gave her a chance to really focus on each piece and look at the details rather than just the color matching.
From the same pack from 1+1+1=1, she put the penguins in alphabet order.  Again, I'm so glad I have the laminator and already had these made.  Saves me on preparation time for lessons!

 We also did some sheets out of 3 Dinosaurs winter pack.  We did a snowflake pattern sheet...
Finding the one that is different...
For this sheet she had to circle the winter clothing that was used per the directions.  For example, "You wear this to cover your head." (Color the hat)
One of my favorite things was this silly questionnaire.  At first I didn't record it, but then I realized I wouldn't remember what she said if I didn't write it down, so we went back after the first 3 questions.  Most of her answers are straight forward, but a few of them are kind of funny.  Here are a couple of examples...
1.  Why can't you wear boots on your nose?  Because they will fall off.  Except for Pinocchio because he has a long nose and the boot will stay on. 
4.  Why can't you wear gloves on your ears?  Because they fit your hands better.  Except fr the monster with one eye on Monsters Inc.  He wears gloves on his ears.  (I didn't check that, but since her memory is crazy good, I'm assuming she's right!)
7.  Why can't you shovel snow with a fork?  Because forks are too small and they have holes.
And finally, she made a cottonball snowman!


Sight Words:
We started a new You Can Read unit.  Our words were: "I", "can", "me" and "you".



On this sheet where she circles the specific word in different colors, she was so pleased when she drew a heart as one of her circles.  Yay Mackenzie! ;)
She also enjoyed stamping and putting stickers on the dot marker sight words from 3 Dinosaurs.
Miscellaneous:
Mackenzie loved the tape on the floor activity we did with the letter F so much, that I brought out the tape again for some gross motor skills.  It was a really, really, rainy day (flash flood rains) that day so it was good to get indoor exercise.
This is not exercise, but she told me to take a picture of her being "locked" in the shape.
My mother-in-law gave us these transparent colored circles to use with the magnetic wand and I wasn't so smart when I decided to use them with the cookie sheet and the number printables from 1+1+1=1.  Silly me, the PLASTIC circles are not magnetic!  The wand picks them up because of the small metal ring on the outside, but they won't stick to a cookie sheet like actual magnets! ;)  Even though the magnetic part of my plan didn't work, the overall exercise was a hit.  She loved putting the correct number of discs on the numbers.

Mackenzie also practiced writing the number 12 with laminated number sheets from Confessions of a homeschooler.  I recently downloaded the updated version of the sheets that includes writing the word, but we haven't used them yet.
Play dough is always a fun activity.  Meredith even joined us on this day, but I have no pictures because I was too busy picking playdough off the floor while she played! ;)
Remember my first Tot School post when we played with all of the balls?  I decided to use the same balls for an activity with Mackenzie, but this time we tried to see which balls "bounced" and which ones did not.  It seems like such simple silly game that is not worth doing, but my 4 year old sure did like throwing the ball down to see if it bounced or not.  The other fun game was trying to keep Meredith out of the piles until we were finished sorting! ;)


Meredith couldn't resist trying to do school with us one day (as is on most days), so she was given markers, paper and some of our cut outs we were using.
Ok, unit 11 posted.  Onto unit 12...except I need to edit some more photos! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment and let me know you were here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...