Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Personality Test

In the past, Brandon has taken a particular personality test (Myers-Briggs) for work and for school.  They were both used to see how you process tasks and work with others.  I'm not going to go into any deep description of the test and 16 personality types, except to say that on the Myers-Briggs test, Brandon is an INTJ.  When you read descriptions of INTJ's, he fits it almost perfectly.  According to the Myers-Briggs website, below is a description of and INTJ personality type:
Have original minds and great drive for implementing their ideas and achieving their goals. Quickly see patterns in external events and develop long-range explanatory perspectives. When committed, organize a job and carry it through. Skeptical and independent, have high standards of competence and performance – for themselves and others.
I also found some other descriptions that are a little clearer and very true...
  • Dislikes confusion, disorganization and inefficiency
  • Reserved and prefers solitary work to group work
  • Orderly and structured
  • Perfectionist
  • High expectations and standards
There are also some funny websites that describe INTJ's that Brandon and I look at sometimes.  Quite a few always seem to relate to our life and some event that recently happened.  It makes us laugh to see how spot on the descriptions are to Brandon's personality and actions.

I write all this to say that I finally took the test (or at least a free version) to find out that I am labeled as and ISFJ.  The websites description of me is this:
Quiet, friendly, responsible, and conscientious. Committed and steady in meeting their obligations. Thorough, painstaking, and accurate. Loyal, considerate, notice and remember specifics about people who are important to them, concerned with how others feel. Strive to create an orderly and harmonious environment at work and at home.
When we first looked up descriptions of my personality, Brandon and I instantly saw connections and Brandon even said, "surprise, surprise." ;)  According to www.personalitypage.com here are my strengths:
  • Good listeners 
  • Will put forth lots of effort to fulfill their duties and obligations 
  • Excellent organizational capabilities 
  • Good at taking care of practical matters and daily needs  
The next portion is my weakness and I can personally testify to all of these!
  • Don't pay enough attention to their own needs 
  • May have difficulty branching out into new territory 
  • Extreme dislike of conflict and criticism 
  • Unlikely to express their needs, which may cause pent-up frustrations to build inside 
At first I thought the last one was all wrong.  I mean, I'm extremely emotional, what do you mean I don't express my feelings.  Then I remembered a typical coversation when Brandon finds me crying, "Why are you crying?" "I don't know." ;)  I eventually talk it out, but it takes some coaxing from Brandon.
 
As far as interacting with friends this is a description I found:
Although the ISFJ is likely to place God and family above their friends in their priorities, they genuinely enjoy spending time with friends and colleagues. In fact, ISFJs usually feel a strong need to talk problems and issues over with people before making decisions on their actions. 
Um...yeah.  That's me.  I almost always need to talk things over with someone.  That was true when I worked and now when I'm at home.  It's not necessarily having to talk about issues or problems, but just things I'm going to do (ie: parties, projects, etc). The description actually went on to say that sometimes ISFJ's prefer to talk things over with friends than family, but I find myself talking about these things mostly with family.

I also found this portion on parenting quite interesting and very true.
Parenthood is seen as natural state and duty to the ISFJ. They are responsible about ensuring that their children have their practical needs met, and try to teach them the rules and observations of our society so that they grow into responsible and independent adults.
ISFJs may have difficulty administering punishment or discipline to their children, although most are able to overcome this discomfort because they feel it is their greater duty to instill their children with sound values. As individuals who value order and structure, they're likely to create well-defined boundaries and roles for their children to live within.

Their children will not lack for structure, appropriate guidelines, or warmth and affection. Their children will remember and value the ISFJ parent for their warm natures and genuine efforts on their children's behalf.
Ok, so that's a little insight into me and my personality, as well as Brandon's.  Although I'm labeled as and Introvert, it was only at 2 percent which means I'm pretty level between introvert and extrovert, however I do prefer my alone time to renew my energy (same as Brandon).  Brandon and I find all of this stuff interesting and I just wanted to share it with you.  If you've never taken one of these tests, I highly recommend it.  Not only does it give you a little bit of insight into yourself, but for me it helps me realize what I should focus on in my life to try to improve (ex: sharing feelings & disciplining the girls).  Looks like I just found a couple of New Year's Resolutions! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment and let me know you were here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...