Friday, January 11, 2013

52 Weeks of Organizing: Week 1 - Kitchen sink and counters

It's that time of year when everyone makes their new year's resolutions.  I always have the same ones and about half of them I do well with and the others drop off little by little through out the year.  One that always drops off about halfway through the year is organization.  I'm fairly organized, but I could always use refining and our house could always use a thorough cleaning out.  We've lived here for almost 2 1/2 years and I know there are some areas that haven't been sorted through since we've moved in.  Last year I found this calendar that had an organizational task to do daily - clean out a kitchen drawer, clean off a bathroom counter, etc.  I did fairly well for a couple of months, but again it dropped off over time and I didn't follow it at all.  This year I decided a weekly thing was more appropriate and flexible.  I found a list of 52 areas that can be organized in your home.  It's supposed to be a "challenge", but I'm just using it as a guideline.

Week 1 is kitchen counters and sink.  I've cleaned the sink thoroughly with my SOS pad and replaced my sponge and dish brush.  I've also cleaned the kitchen counters and tried to reorganize my utensils.  I'd like to get a new utensil holder that is orange in the hopes of tying together the bright orange wall painted above our kitchen cabinets.  However, that isn't really something I HAVE to have, so if I find one when I'm out and about great, if not, oh well.


I also included the cabinet under the sink as part of week 1 instead of week 2's kitchen cabinets and drawers.  For me, it's one of those places that becomes some sort of catch all for miscellaneous cleaners and other little kitchen things.  Here is the before picture:

The first thing I did was pull it all out to sort.  This picture is actually after I threw away some stuff but before I combined the sos pad boxes or the dish soap.

I also cleaned the bottom of the cabinet.  I'm pretty sure that had never happened (even with previous owners), since I was wiping up saw dust along the edges.

Surprisingly, the bottom of the cabinet is very nicely finished, something I've never noticed with all of the stuff that had collected.  I'm not sure why I thought it would be some run down piece of wood, but I just wasn't expecting the nice finish.


I combined dish soaps; SOS pad boxes, threw out old sponges, sprays, brushes and moved all of the cleaning sprays to the laundry room with the other cleaning supplies.  The last item was something I've been wanting to do for a while.  I think over the years I've collected a lot of doubles of cleaning products (probably because they are not all in one place), so I want to put them all in one place and then clean out that area (week 17).  Afterwards I put all of the "keep" items back in the sink and I'm very excited about how clean it looks.

And just for fun, here are the side by side comparisons:
Right side:
Left side:

Here's hoping I can keep this up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment and let me know you were here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...