Saturday, November 24, 2012

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving was at our house this year.  We had a smoked turkey.  This is my third Thanksgiving to host between (2 with my family and 1 with Brandon's) and my third smoked turkey.  I love roasted turkey, but I'm not daring enough to do one on my own.  I don't think I'm necessarily scared about the actual cooking part.  It's the prep and cleaning out that I don't want to do.  :/

Anyways, I "warmed" a turkey, made cornbread dressing and baked an Italian cream cake and a chocolate chip pie.  My Granny brought sweet potatoes, honey baked ham and fruit salad.  And my mom brought corn casserole, green beans, deviled eggs and cookie/brownie/reeces cup deliciousness for dessert.  Needless to say, there was plenty of food for 10 1/2 people to eat.  Meredith didn't actually eat since we started eating at nap time.  She was so tired that she didn't even want to eat.  For her that is SLEEPY! ;)

I only took 3 photos of the food, so no proof that we actually had Thanksgiving at our house.  The one thing I did NOT take a picture of was my Italian Cream cake.  It was not a pretty sight.  It tasted delicious, but it did not look pretty.  The recipe is from Pioneer Woman's second cookbook and she has the gorgeous 4 layer rectangular cake that I really wanted to replicate.  The problem is that I don't have 1/4 sheet cooking pans like she uses in her recipe.  She did say that you could use one 9x13 pan, so I did with the intention of cutting it lengthwise and having a two layer rectangular cake.  After 25 minutes of baking I could have sworn the toothpick came out clean, but when I turned the cake over onto the cooling rack, some of it dripped right out.  I didn't want to throw away all I had done, so I put the pan right back over the cake and flipped the cooling rack.  The cake didn't look so pretty any more, but I baked it anyway to finish off the center. ;)  When it was finally finished I let it cool and then sliced it into 4 pieces.  I made 2, two layered cakes and since some of the cake was lost in the center, they both leaned a little, even with some extra icing between the layers.  Also, I'm not sure what my issue is with homemade icing, but I have the hardest time getting it firm enough.  I had to put the cakes in the fridge as soon as I had iced them and they still looked droopy.  I could have poured the icing on and made it look just as pretty.  :(  Anyways, despite their looks, the cake is delicious.  I think before I do it again, I'll be investing in some 1/4 sheet cooking pans.  Since we had so much dessert for only 10 people, I froze the other cake, so to my friends going to our church Christmas party in a few weeks, you will be able to try it for yourselves.

After all the prep for Thanksgiving, I did absolutely NOTHING yesterday!  I was proud of myself when I finally got out of my pajamas at 2:30 to take the girls to the playground. ;)  I hope all of you had just as an enjoyable Thanksgiving as we did! Now, onto Christmas!  Actually, I guess that is the only productive thing I did...decorate the Christmas Tree.  YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment and let me know you were here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...