Friday, November 16, 2012

Preschool K3 - Unit 5

We are already wrapping up Unit 7 and yet here I am posting about Unit 5.  Eventually, I'll catch up with our school activities.   Looking back at the pictures, I've realized how little I did with Unit 6 & 7.  We had a little school lapse in the last few weeks and you'll definitely notice in the next few posts.  But for now, Unit 5 was LOADED with different activities.

Here is the breakdown of what we studied in Unit 5:

Bible Story: Abraham, Sarah and Issac
Letter: F
Science: Feelings (not really science, but it's definitely not math! Ha!)
Theme: Autumn Fairies
Sight Words: is, for
Bible Verse: For nothing is impossible with God.  Luke 1:37

And now for the details...
Bible Story:

We first read the story of Abraham and Sarah (Abram and Sarai) praying for children and the laughing when God told them they would have a son.  1+1+1=1 had these cute coloring sheets to go along with the story.
I also found a few ideas from the South Florida church of Christ's youth curriculum.  While I don't agree with all of their beliefs (instrumental music being one), I like some of their lessons and craft ideas.  Making this star collage was one activity that she really enjoyed making.  So simple and yet, so fun for her.
Along with the star theme (God told Abraham, "I will surely multiply your offspring as the stars of heaven" Genesis 22:7), she made a counting star booklet.  The idea and print out were from Hubbard's Cupboard's Bible and Rhyme Curriculum.
And finally, another craft from South Florida, putting baby Isaac in his basket.  Isn't Isaac colorful? ;)

Letter F:
We did a few letter F activities, but I only took a picture of two of the activities.  First, I borrowed an idea for some gross motor skills from 3 Dinosaurs.  She blogged about it the week we were doing the unit and since we were already going to be studying the letter F, it was perfect.
This task was so simple and she really enjoyed doing it.  We will definitely be doing this with other letters.  Another activity was a letter hunt from Confessions of a Homeschooler.
Science:
We talked about feelings for our science lesson.  I blogged about one of the activities here, but below is the overall collage and a hint of the fun, thanks to the printables from 1+1+1=1.
Also from 1+1+1=1 was a pumpkin feelings page.  Mackenzie liked drawing their faces according to the listed feeling.
And then we ran the topic of feelings into the ground by playing feelings bingo from Bible and Rhyme.

Theme:
An Autumn Fairies preschool pack from Over the Big Moon was our additional theme packet in this unit.  It was full of a variety of activities she loves to do.
Tracing and Counting...
What's different and What's next...

She loves these coloring pages.  We've done a different one every week for the last 3 or 4 weeks.  The words are in the color she needs, so she doesn't need my help at all.  I think she really enjoys doing it all by herself.

Sight Words:
The sight words I chose for this unit were "is" and "for".  I try to choose at least one word from our memory verse, but this time both were in the verse.

Read, Build, Write...

Sight word Paths from 3 dinosaurs...
Word Search from Confessions of a Homeschooler...
And finally some color by number sight words from 1+1+1=1.

Miscellaneous:
I love when certain activities spawn other unplanned activities.  After feelings bingo, Mackenzie wanted to play with the colored blocks.  We sorted them, counted them and of course just played with them to build pyramids, towers and whatever we wanted.
I finally made a quick game using the color swatches I got at the store back in January!  She wasn't a big fan of it at the time, but I think it was because we were at the end of our school "session" for that day and she was tired.
She also matched letters in our ABC game I made.  Maybe one day I'll laminate it all or make it a little more professional looking.  But seeing as how I'm not going to use it professionally, sharpee letters on construction paper are just fine!
And lastly, we did more work in our money book.  She really enjoys doing these sheets and it allows her to be more familiar with money denomination, so it's a win-win!


We wrapped up Unit 7 today and now after writing this post, it looks like I need to vamp up unit 8 for next week!  We always seem to do better when we have a lot planned for school and now that Meredith takes one nap a day at just about the same time every day, we actually did school every day this week.  Time for me to start planning and writing lesson plans!

1 comment:

  1. What great ideas! It looks like you are doing a great job of teaching and it is so fun! Thanks for the ideas. KJ

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment and let me know you were here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...