Monday, November 19, 2012

Book count goals

In years past, I've always kept track of the books I read each year, but I've never set a goal for the number of books I want to read.  A few months ago, I saw that Goodreads has a goal tracker than you can set and keep track of the books you read during the year.  I knew last year I had read about 18 books, so I decided to try for 25 books this year.  Currently I'm "on track" with only 3 books left, but we'll see how the rest of the year goes.  I usually read 2 or 3 books at the same time.  They are almost always in different genres, so depending on my mood in the evening, I can choose a different book.  Current titles are: The Paris Wife (just started last night), A Tale of Two Cities, and For Liberty and Glory (history of American and French Revolutions and the men who led them - Washington and Lafayette).  Technically, I'm still reading The Odyssey since I didn't finish it when I attempted to be a part of an online book club.

Some quick reads I read this summer were in the Confessions of a Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella.  They are really light and easy reads that always end in a happy ending.  I read those on nights that I'm really tired and I just need a book to wind down.  No real thinking required and I love it.  Plus, they are the typical romantic comedy that I find cute and fun to read.  Mackenzie sometimes asks me what I'm going to do after I put her in bed.  Once, after I told her I was going to wash my face and read a book, she asked me if I was going to do that each and every night for the next 3 weeks!  One day she asked me what book I read at night and I told her that I read a book about a girl that goes shopping every day.  A couple of nights later she asked me what book I was going to read.  When I said that I didn't know, she said I should read the book "about the girl who goes to the grocery store."  It took me a little bit to figure out she was talking about the Shopaholic books we had talked about earlier in the week! ;)  I guess since I've been staying home, we haven't been doing as much shopping at places other than the grocery store.  (At least not as much as we did when we lived on two salaries!)

It's been a while since we've been to the library (other than to vote) and I'm fighting the urge to go check out some new books.  My brother-in-law recently sent me lots of e-books and there were several that had been on my wishlist to check out at the library.  I even loaded several onto my nook so that they would be there when I was ready to read them, but instead I really want to go find new books.  I think it's all in my head..."I can read those nook books anytime, but I might not see these library books again."  I think part of it could be the need to read a real book with paper pages and not just a digital book.  Although, I guess I could have still read my own books that I have on my shelves.  ;)

I know I've blogged about this before, but it appears to be a recurring theme in my life! ;)  Does anyone else struggle to read the books you already own?  Do you keep track of your books on Goodreads?

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment and let me know you were here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...