Monday, July 9, 2012

Fourth of July

We had a low key Fourth of July.  We started the day at the pool with friends and then came home and did nothing else!  Well, we did stuff around the house, but we didn't go anywhere else.  Actually, we didn't even see the fireworks.  We thought we might be able to see them from our house, but we couldn't.  Mackenzie had fallen asleep on the couch at 7:30 or 8:00 and we told her before she went to sleep that we would wake her up to see the fireworks, but when we didn't see any, we just carried her to her room.

Anyways, we started celebrating the 4th a day early when, Mackenzie and I had made our flag cake.  I've been wanting to make one of these for years, but never have until now.  It's just a white cake with vanilla frosting and then the fruit on top.  I think most people probably use cool whip on top, but I'm not a huge fan of cool whip, so I chose something I knew I loved - frosting! ;) 

As you can see, we didn't quite make 13 stripes, but that's ok, it's just a cake.  We'll just pretend our flag represents the first 7 colonies rather than 13. ;)

Our next door neighbor brought us a really cool book last week and we've sang through it several times.  Mackenzie had heard a couple of the songs in the book, but I had never sang Home on the Range, Yankee Doodle or America to her. 


Since she loves flags, this book is perfect for her.  We'll be keeping it out year round, not just during July! 

At the pool on Wednesday morning, we saw some of our friends from church and had fun swimming with them.  During the adult swim break, the girls sat on a towel and had ring pops for a snack.  This is a picture of the girls showing off their colorful tongues.

Jake wanted to join in on the fun, so he found a spot on the towel!
After swimming, we came home for lunch and, of course, I couldn't pass up an opportunity to use a preschool pack I found on 2 Teaching Mommies.

We found the picture that was different...
Played with our magnets on our F is for Fireworks sheet...
We also worked on size sequencing with flags...
and fireworks.  I tried to get her to put them in order from smallest to biggest, but she said, "no, that's not how you do it."  As usual, once you show her something one way, there's no way to change it! ;)
She also sorted fireworks by size.  I finally let go and let her use the glue to glue everything herself.  I don't know why I was so nervous - she's so much like me that there was no mess.  Part of the learning process in this homeschool preschool is for me.  I'm learning that I can survive if she puts the fireworks in a different spot than I would have...even when it covers the letters. ;)  
Counting Clip cards...

We used a blue dot marker for our roll and graph exercise.  We are still working on recognizing that she can use the numbers on the side of the graph to see how many times an image was rolled.  She likes to count all of the dots...and that's ok.  (See, I'm learning!)
Patterns are so much fun when you are working with fireworks!
Mackenzie has a video she likes to watch on one of her ipad apps where they make "jello stars".  I decided that the 4th of July holiday was the perfect time to make these.  Unfortunately, they didn't turn out so great and she didn't want to try the cool whip topping, so we had 4 jello stars and just plane jello squares! 
I had never had blue jello before and it was quite tasty - I highly recommend! ;)

Anyways, so while we didn't get out of the house, we did stay quite busy.  I hope all of you had a wonderful 4th of July.  I'm looking forward to celebrating in future years when the girls will actually stay up late and we can go somewhere to watch the fireworks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment and let me know you were here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...