Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Reading Groove

I got back in my reading groove late last year after taking a forced break when Meredith was born.  At some point last year I made a list of all of my books.  At the time I had 74 books on my list and wanted to attempt to read them in the order I put them in.  That didn't happen and I wasn't even close.  I did read 3 books in the last 2 months of last year, but they weren't the first 3 on the list.  What's even worse, is that this year I've read 10 books so far and not a single one was on the list last year!  So much for not collecting any more books - which was the purpose of making the list.  Four of the 10 books were library books and 3 others were gifts, so I only bought 3.  I guess that's something.

The three books that were gifts were The Hunger Games trilogy. 

I realize I'm a little behind in reading them, considering they were written between 2008-2010, but better late than never.  I think I did the same thing back when Harry Potter was popular.  I don't think I started reading those books until book 4 was published.  Since The Hunger Games books are "young adult" books, they are very quick reads and it only took one day to read per book.  I finished the last one on Sunday night and am officially ready to watch the movie (and future movies) to see the similarities and differences.

Another book I read, which also happens to be a movie is I Don't Know How She Does It by Allison Pearson.
I liked this one too and it had a much better ending that I thought it would.  I could really relate to a lot of the book because it's about a working mother and how she juggles work, family and friends and the guilt associated with the time (or lack of) spent within each "category" of life.  It's been 9 months since I've worked out of the house, but I vividly remembered the juggling and guilt!  Not that the juggling doesn't still happen now, it's just a different kind of juggling.  Again, I'm interested to see how this movie compares to the book.

Other books I've read this year are:
  • 5 Love Languages of Children by Gary Chapman - I blogged about that book here.
  • Jacqueline Kennedy: Historic Conversations on Life with John F Kennedy - a series of interviews about JFK's presidency within a few months after his assassination.  I thought it was good, but since I wasn't alive when all of the events happened, I wasn't familiar with some of the topics mentioned.  In theory, I would love to go back and read it again, but take time to look up the different events in order to have a little more background.
  • Untold Story by Monica Ali - a fictional book imagining what Princess Diana would be doing if she had faked her death and moved to the States.  It was a cute book and made you wonder if she's really dead.  Not really about the fake death, but it was still a good book.
  • The History of Love by Nicole Krauss - this book was a little strange and it's sort of hard to paraphrase, but it was still good.  It had been on my list to read for quite some time and I finally remembered to check it out at the library.
  • House of Daughters by Sarah-Kate Lynch- a book about 3 sisters who don't know they are sisters until their father dies and leaves them a vineyard to care for.
  • Not a Fan by Kyle Idleman- a Christian book about being a follower of Jesus, not just a fan.  Very good book!
I know I said all of these books were good and you are probably wondering if I ever dislike books.  The answer is yes.  Two books from the library went back to the library unfinished because I didn't like them and didn't want to read them anymore.

Last night, I did read Mere Christianity by CS Lewis in the hopes of finishing this book in the next week.  Since it's at the top of my list from last year, maybe I'll be reading from the top of my list again for the rest of the year.  I doubt it, but maybe. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment and let me know you were here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...