Sunday, April 8, 2012

Z is for ZOO!

I went to the zoo week before last and it was my first "field trip" by myself with both girls. We've been to the store many times, the library several times, out to eat and the strawberry patch (although, my grandparents met us there, so that doesn't really count), but this was a big thing for us.  I packed a lunch for us and we left just after Meredith ate breakfast.  Since we didn't get there right when they opened, we had to park in the parking lot across the street, but that wasn't too bad.  I think we picked a pretty good day to go.  It was a 60% chance of rain and there was state testing in the elementary schools, so it wasn't too terribly crowded.  There were still quite a lot of school trips there, but not nearly as many as when we went 2 years ago.

We got to see this cute baby elephant.  In another picture I have, he was trying to eat the wire.  I love how close you can actually get to them now.  I think this used to be the giraffe area a couple of years ago because I don't remember ever getting this close to the elephants.
After seeing quite a few animals, we walked to the "new to us" African animal area.  It was still fairly humid outside even though it was March, so we headed to the Chimpanzee's for some air conditioning while I fed Meredith.  The Chimpanzee's didn't do much while we were there, but Mackenzie had fun looking out the window to see them.
She also had a lot of fun posing for pictures in front of things.  This is her standing outside the Chimpanzee exhibit.  I told her to stand up straight...can you tell? ;)
I like this picture of the rhinos eating.  They look like they are sort of in a stand off, but nope, they are just eating.
They have an area where you can feed the giraffes for $5, but I knew there was no way I would ever get Mackenzie to hold her hand up for a giraffe to eat the lettuce, so I passed.  I bet in a couple of years, Meredith will be all over that!  She'll be the one that begs us to do that and pet the dolphins at Sea World.  Everything Mackenzie won't do.  Even if you can't get real close to them if you aren't feeding them, you can still get fairly close to them.  I think the giraffes might be my favorite.
Mackenzie really liked the fences that she could see through.  This is her looking at the giraffes.
About this time, we stopped to have lunch at a picnic table.  Mackenzie learned the hard way that wind blows napkins away. ;)  She also learned that every once in while you have to shoo birds away when eating in a park!  Just before lunch I thought we were going to have to go home early because Mackenzie was really acting up, but after we ate lunch she was perfectly fine.  I think she's going to be a lot like my brother and be cranky and whiney when her blood sugar is low and she needs food. (This isn't the first instance of food making her attitude better). 
After lunch we were able to continue looking at animals.  This is the kind of animal Mackenzie likes - totally fake!


She liked the lions and said it was like The Lion King.  Yes, Mackenzie, it sure is.
Being silly, petting the bear statue.
Meredith really learned how to suck on her sippy cup on this hot humid day!  The cup was full when we left that morning!
Mackenzie wanted to see a peacock and this is the one we found!  Again, fake animals are perfect for her! ;)
On our way out, we stopped in the gift shop and Mackenzie picked out a stuffed elephant.  I also bought the girls some toy binoculars.  Mackenzie likes them and has run into a few things in the house while looking at them backwards since it makes things look further away.  It's actually quite funny - even she laughs at herself.  I told her that she should probably just stand still while looking through her binoculars.  She doesn't seem to want to listen to me about that.

As we were walking to our car it started to sprinkle and by the time we got on the road, it was full down pour.  We left just in time!  Overall, we had a great time.  It was tiring, but it was fun.  I still stand by my post a couple of years ago, when I said I've had my "zoo fix" for the next year or two.  I've had a couple of friends tell me they took their kids every week in the spring.  We will not be that family.  It's just not my cup of tea.  I like looking at the animals and the girls (well, Mackenzie) like looking at the animals, but we don't just LOVE looking at the animals.  Not enough to warrant driving 45 minutes to the zoo and back.  I'm pretty sure it will be another 2 years before I take the girls again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment and let me know you were here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...