Thursday, April 5, 2012

Project: Master Bedroom Wall Art

Unfortunately for Brandon, since I've been at home, I'm always thinking of projects for the house.  Something I've been wanting to do since day one is add some sort of art or wall hanging above our bed in the master bedroom.  I saw an idea on Pinterest where someone used scrapbook paper attached to canvases and another one that put scrapbook paper in picture frames to create the wall art/decoration.  So, now I'm determined to use scrapbook paper and maybe fabric since Brandon is not as confident that glued scrapbook paper will hold up.  Back in December, I asked my mom to order some fabrics and paper from Stampin' Up to see if it could work for this project.  Here's what the fabric and paper look like:


I chose this set for several reasons...
  • I like them. ;)
  • Our bedding is black and grey and I wanted to add a pop of color with the red or turquoise.
  • Our walls/ceiling are painted a khaki color.  Ideally, it would be nice to paint the walls a nice light grey, but it would be expensive to cover all that square footage and then it wouldn't match very well with the carpet and bathroom tile.  This paper/fabric patterns has black and khaki that go well with the current color scheme of our bedroom. 
Here is what our master bedroom currently looks like (minus the pillows that are on the floor):
The bedding isn't my first pick, but King size bedding is expensive and at the time, I was just trying to find something that Brandon and I both agreed on (Brandon didn't want a light color), that was not too terribly expensive and that wasn't too girly.  So for the time being (several more years at least) this is our bedding.  That is kind of the point with choosing to use scrapbook paper for decoration - it's easily changed when the bedding is changed.

At the moment, I'm trying to figure out how big I want the wall hangings to be.  Our ceilings are 10' tall, so there is a lot of space above the head board.  I decided to layout some options to see what I liked best.  I thought I'd post them on the blog to get some more opinions.

My first thought was to use the 3 fabrics I have and do 3 separate hangings:

Now, maybe a little further apart:

Then I thought about using 2 different fabric prints and having 4 canvases:

If I decide to go with fabric wrapped canvases, I'm leaning toward the 4 pieces because it sort of matches the lines of the headboard a little better since it's in landscape orientation.  Now for the options with scrapbook paper.  The paper is 12x12 in size, so I would have to do more pieces to get the height and or width above the bed.

10 pieces:
8 pieces:

Again, I like the 10 pieces because it creates more of the landscape orientation that matches the bed.  What do you think?  Do you have a preference and or suggestion?  Have any of you used scrapbook paper as decoration?

1 comment:

  1. I like the 4 or the 10. But check this out too...... http://jensidea.blogspot.com/2011/06/easy-art-blocks.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment and let me know you were here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...