Wednesday, February 15, 2012

My own medicine

When I was 7 or 8 or 9, I hated when my mom would leave me with a babysitter.  I would throw the biggest fit and it was not pretty.  I grew up going to daycare while my mom worked.  I don't remember throwing fits there, but my mom might remember otherwise.  After my parents married and we moved to the house I grew up in, I remember having more babysitters.  Maybe I was too old for daycare or we had a day off of school (I don't really know), but I remember having an occasional babysitter during the day while my parents were at work and my brother was at daycare.  Those poor, poor babysitters.  Looking back, I really feel sorry for what they had to go through for the first 15 minutes after my mom left.  But that's they way it had to be.  My parents had to work, so I had to have a babysitter.

When I worked, I had to deal with Mackenzie's crying occasionally when I dropped her off.  It usually was just a matter of us getting there late and it messed up her routine or maybe she woke up late and felt rushed with her time with me in the morning.  Whatever the reason, she always was just fine in a matter of minutes.

With, Sunday morning bible class, she's only cried once when I dropped her off in the last 1 1/2 years we've lived here.  For ladies bible class the first time, she just hugged me and went and played with her friends.  This past Sunday evening we went to church for the first time in a while and she started to cry when I dropped her off at Bible Hour.  I figured she'd get better in a few minutes so I left to go to service.  Five minutes later, a friend of ours came to tell us that Mackenzie was still not doing well and that I should go see her.  I ended up bringing Mackenzie back into the auditorium with me, 15 minutes later because she would start to cry every time I mentioned leaving.  I was sympathetic Sunday night, because that was the first time she had been to that particular class.

Today was a different story.  Today I got a taste of my own medicine.

We went to Ladies Bible Class this morning like we do every week, but when I dropped her off at the kids room, she started to cry.  I did my usual and hugged and kissed her and she started to cry even more.  We went to the bathroom, wiped her face, talked a little and then went back in the room for her to show me what she was going to do with her friends.  Then I tried to leave and she threw a big fit.  I walked away and went to class to put my bible up and put Meredith in the room with the other ladies, before coming back to deal with Mackenzie who was now throwing a huge fit in the hallway.  We quickly walked to the bathroom and received a pop for acting up.  I told her she needed to be a big girl and go sit with her friends.  She told me she wasn't going to play and I said that was fine as long as she was nice to everyone.  She said ok and went to her class without any more tears.

I went to class (15 minutes late) and 10 minutes later I heard Mackenzie crying.  I heard her crying 20-30 feet away through 2 doors!  The biggest fit ever!  Apparently, one of her friends had tried talking to her (the nerve!) and it had sent her over the edge.

We left class.  I packed up Meredith, grabbed my purse and bible and left.  I was furious.  She had a punishment when we got home and she's not allowed to watch any movies today, plus we didn't get to go out to lunch with our friends after class.

I have patience when she's apprehensive to do something new, but we've been going to Bible class for months now and she knows everyone there.  This was just her throwing a fit.  I probably should have made her stay and cry it out, but if a friend talking to her made her upset, how was she going to get through the next 40 minutes and lunch out with everyone.  It's so frustrating that she acted out like that, but you know what's even more frustrating?  I found myself more upset that I had to miss my bible study and lunch with my friends too.  Can we say selfish?

That's probably why more and more parents don't discipline their kids the way they should - cause it's not so fun for the parents either.  Who wants to not go out to eat because their kids won't act right?  Who wants to leave a basket full of stuff at the store because your child is not listening to you?  Who wants to leave a bible study and lunch date with friends because your daughter is throwing a fit?  No one.  We do it because we love our children.  We do it because we want our children to know they are loved.  We do it because the Bible says we should (Proverbs 22:6; Proverbs 29:17; Ephesians 6:4).

1 comment:

  1. Preach on sister! Be strong! Your girls are lucky that you love them so much!! It's hard to be a parent... I cling to those same verses each day!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment and let me know you were here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...