Friday, February 17, 2012

Friday Flashback: Models


The summer between undergrad and graduate schools I worked for an Architect located in the museum district.  For the first few weeks, I built models - like the one above.  Since it's been almost 10 years since I built that model I don't remember the details, but it's a model of an existing building in which my employer was designing an additional temple at that same complex (I also built that model).  I knew it existed here in Houston, but I only used the existing architectural plans and pictures to build the model - I never saw the building in person. 

Since I couldn't remember the name of the complex, I had googled the description several times over the past few years, just to see if I could see a real picture and compare it to my model, but was unsuccessful.  After we moved to our current house a year and half ago, I would occasionally take Westpark Tollway home from work and as I was driving one day, I looked out my window and saw it!  The minute I saw it, I knew it was the right building.  How many buildings have you seen with a giant gold geodesic dome?!

A year later, I finally looked on the google maps to find it on the satellite since I knew it's approximate location and now I finally know what it's called - Chong Hua Sheng Mu Holy Palace.

It's abandoned now and they never built the other temple that they planned 10 years ago, but I think it's pretty cool that my model picture looks fairly similar to the original building.  

PS - instead of building the geodesic ball in the model, my employer and I decided to spray paint a bouncy ball from wal-mart and small ornaments for the the small domes!  it would have taken me weeks to build the domes had we not done that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment and let me know you were here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...