Saturday, January 21, 2012

RSSP: Letter T, Number 2, square, sight word "the"


This week's Raising Rock Stars Preschool unit was focused on the letter "T".  The memory verse from My ABC's Memory Verse was Exodus 20:15 - Thou shall not steal.  We talked about the 10 commandments and then focused on what it meant to steal.  The example in the book was "stealing" flowers from a neighbor's yard if you don't ask for permission, but I focused on taking someone's toys from their house when they are not yours.  The coloring sheet on the first day shows a person taking a piggy bank and so now that's the lesson she remembers.  If you ask her what it means to steal, she says, "when you take someone's piggy bank." ;)

We also focused on the number 2 and the site word "the".  The curriculum has really cute little books that she reads every day.  Last week the book was titled "I see" and so each page said, "I see 1 lion" (or lamp or ladder).  She knew the letter I, we were focusing on the word see and she knew the number 1.  The only thing she didn't know was how to read the last word and since it had it's picture on the page, she knew what it said.  She thought it was great because she was actually reading.  This week the book was titled "The Turtles".  Each page said, "I see the turtle" (or happy turtle or funny turtle or angry turtle).  Again, because of the picture she knew what the last 2 words were and it made her feel great that she was reading on her own.

*On a side note to last week's word "see" - Tuesday night, Mackenzie said, "Momma, momma, I found the word see."  She was reading Brown Bear, Brown Bear.  It was the perfect book, because "see" is on every page!  I didn't even think to read it the week before, but that's okay since she found it on her own, I think she'll remember all the more now.*

We made our letter T collage with all things starting with T and we also did a letter T sort.




She did great with the letter sound sort where we looked at pictures and determined if they started with the letter T.

She's getting much better with her cutting and cut out all of her vocab cards this week by herself, except that I help her hold the paper.  I didn't get a picture of that, but I did get a picture of her cutting her memory verse.

Since it's so short, it didn't take long.  I had her stand up and see how tall it was compared to her and afterward she started measuring other items around the house.  Apparently, the memory verse is longer than the tv remote!


Next week is the letter "H" and I'm planning on adding a supplemental themed unit on Ballerinas, now that we've got the hang of our school schedule.  I'm loving this and am so glad she's loving it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment and let me know you were here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...