Thursday, November 3, 2011

DVD's at 3am

When my mom stayed here at the house the first week we were home with Meredith, she mostly stayed up with her and fed her the midnight and 3 am feedings.  When I would see how they were doing in the morning, I would almost always find Meredith laying on the bed next to my mom half covered with the duvet.  My mom would swaddle her and then pull the duvet to about her waist/chest to provide the extra weight and comfort Meredith needed to sleep soundly.  Meredith still sleeps this way with me in the guest bedroom.

When my mom went back home after a week, I essentially moved into the guest bedroom at night.  Our guest bedroom is away from the other bedrooms in the house and has it's own bathroom, so I can "camp out" in there at night with Meredith and not disturb Brandon and Mackenzie as much as I would if in the master bedroom or living room.  We set up the pack n play off to the side so that I could have a changing table, so it's perfect for all things baby during the night.  Another selling point for this room is the tv with built in dvd player.  My mom also pointed out that I should watch dvd's or cable while feeding Meredith in the middle of the night, since it was taking about 1 to 1 1/2 hours to feed her in the beginning.  In the 7 weeks  I've been sleeping in the bedroom with her, I have watched all 10 seasons of friends, a couple of Doris Day movies, Pride and Prejudice and season 1 of the Cosby Show!  Since we don't have cable, we had gotten out of the habit of watching a lot of TV and so I've really enjoyed watching movies and tv shows in the middle of the night.

 As much as I like watching theses shows, I'm looking forward to not having to watch them at 2 and 3 in the morning.  Actually, for the last week, Meredith has been going to sleep around 10:00 or 10:30 and not waking up for her next bottle until 5:00 or 6:00am!  She will stir a little at 1 or 2, but doesn't wake up crying and wanting to be fed.  I can usually just pat her a little or give her the pacifier and she goes back to sleep.  I think tonight I'm going to see what happens if I don't do anything when she stirs and see if she can put herself back to sleep.  For all I know, I'm waking her up by sleeping next to her and snoring or rolling over.  If she can put herself back to sleep, then I'm moving back to my own bed and she can move to hers!  Here's to a full night's sleep and no late night tv watching!   

1 comment:

  1. Don't know how you watched Friends without laughing out loud and waking that sweet baby!!! I had not seen an episode in a few years and flipped on Nick at NIte and saw the one when Ross gets a spray tan. Needless to say, I could hardly breathe from laughing so hard. That was a fun show!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment and let me know you were here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...