Monday, October 17, 2011

Welcome to the Circus

This is going to be a long post...just fyi.

We had Mackenzie's birthday party this past weekend and I chose a circus theme.  I got so excited about making banners I might have gone a little overboard!  I made 5 total!  The Happy Birthday banner is over the play room entry. 
decorations on the table are cracker jacks and animal crackers
Once everyone arrived we went outside to "see the circus".  I made all of the backdrops with leftover cardboard boxes and wrapping paper remains.  First, the children walked the "tight rope" aka a 2x4.  Actually, this was a little harder than I thought it might be because it was on the grass which made it move a little bit.  Another mom and I had to hold the 2x4 down with our feet while the kids walked across.
Next up, the Bean Bag Toss
I already had the bean bags, but we did have to buy what turned out to be a fairly expensive hula hoop.  It lights up and everything!  Unfortunately, since Mackenzie doesn't know how to hula hoop and I'm not sure that I could do it anymore, it might not get much use for a little while.  Mackenzie and I might have to keep playing bean bag toss!

The ball toss was next.  I taped some clear plastic cups to wrapped cardboard and had the kids toss ping pong balls into the cups.  The age range was 19 months to 4 years and I think it worked for all of them.  I think it also worked really well on the lawn chair and was the perfect height for them.

The Clothespin drop was another game we played.  It's a little harder, but I think they still had fun.  Mackenzie and I will probably continue to play this game and also use the clothespins for other fine motor skills.

 

One of the funniest games was the pin the nose on the clown.


What's funny about all of the clown nose locations is that only two of them were put on by kids using the mask.  The others were all added by kids actually looking at the board!  Mackenzie wanted nothing to do with the mask, so she stuck the nose in the proper place.  Then another girl put it right next to Mackenzie's.  The two on the clown's head were put on blindfolded, but all other were visible! ;)

A repeat of last years game was another hit.  You can't go wrong with rubber ducks in water!

After all of the fun outside, we made it inside for circus food - hot dogs and nachos! Yum!  And of course for dessert we had cake and cupcakes.  The cupcakes actually ended up being a take home since everyone ate the cake.  I made the cupcake toppers with a banner punch from Stampin' Up and the Big Top Birthday stickers.

I decorated the cake using an idea I found on Pinterest and I think it came out really well.  I'm going to have to look at their other ideas to see what else you can do.  This trick just used a butter knife to create the lines/ridges.  It was so easy!

I didn't believe my friend when she said Mackenzie blew out the candle with her nose, but based on this picture, I think she did! ;)
The rainbow cake was very cool.  I might have to try it again one day, but make thinner layers and add a couple more colors.  And last, but not least, you cannot leave the circus empty handed, so everyone took home a goodie bag that my mom made as well as a box of cracker jacks and animal crackers.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Looks like you did a great job!! I'm impressed. :) Love the cake, too. Fun, fun, fun.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment and let me know you were here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...