Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Books to read

I've said this before - I like to read.  I don't always have time to read (especially now), but I do like to read.  I also like to collect books - specifically free books on the nook and iPad.  Combine those with the books I've bought over the years and never read and I've got quite a collection of books waiting to be read.

A couple of weeks ago, in an effort to get organized while stuck here in the house, I made a list of every book on my shelves and on my nook that I hadn't read.  If that's not dorky enough, I then categorized them by genre and then numbered them in the order that I wanted to read them, being sure to alternate between hard copy and nook book.  Did I mention I did this in an excel spread sheet and also printed the final list?  yeah, I know...I'm crazy.

With that said, I have 74 books waiting to be read!  The genres include non-fiction, classics, history, christian (fiction and non-fiction), and biographies.  The first few on my list are:

1.  Mere Christianity - I was already half way through this book when I made the list, but since I stopped reading it after Meredith was born, I put it on the list so I would finish it.

2.  Elizabeth: the life of Elizabeth Taylor - I've had this book for several years and had just forgotten to read it.

3.  Gap Creek - this book was a freebie for my nook.  My mom read it probably 8 years ago and really liked it, so I have high hopes.

The reality of me actually going down the list in the "correct order" is probably non-existent.  In fact, I've already gone out of order.  I skipped finishing Mere Christianity because it there is too much thinking required when reading the book.  With a 3 year old and 2 month old, I need something light and easy to read and pick up where ever I left off.  I started reading Gap Creek the week after I made the list, but haven't read very much more since.  It's not that I don't like it, it's just I haven't had a lot of free time where I felt like reading.  Maybe soon.

My goal for the remainder of the year - to read all 3 of the above books.  My goal of 3 books in 2 months is quite a change from January and February when I read 7 books in those two months.  But then again, my life has had quite a change since January and February!

1 comment:

  1. Audio books are the way to go. You can "read" while driving or doing dishes, etc. I get through a lot of books that way.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment and let me know you were here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...