Wednesday, July 20, 2011

VBAC or c-section

Meredith's due in under 6 weeks and in two weeks we'll have an ultrasound to see if she head down yet. Three years ago at my 36 week appointment was when we found out Mackenzie was breech (I had a sneaky suspicion) and my c-section was scheduled. At the time, I was almost prepared for that since I actually thought she was laying sideways, so it wasn't that big of a shock. This time around, it's been like this constant waiting game to see Meredith's position.

So, what am I thinking about while we wait? Well lets see...Is Meredith breech? Does that kick mean she's sideways? Since her hiccups are low in my belly does that mean she's already turned head down? I wonder if I'll have another c-section? If she's not breech, should I try a VBAC (vaginal birth after Cesarian)? Are there too many risks with a VBAC? Are there too many risks with another c-section? Am I ready for the unknown of labor? Am I ready for the unplanned and unpredictability of labor? Am I ready for the 3 week recovery of a c-section? To say I haven't been thinking about the next 6 weeks, would be an understatement!
Since I didn't technically have any laboring issues last time because we already knew Mackenzie was breech, my chances of delivering vaginally are very high. I've read the information about both, which is more than I did when I found out I was having a c-section the first time, and I think I'm going to try a VBAC. Plenty of woman have them every day, including my grandmother with my dad, uncle and aunt in the 50's. From what I've read, the recovery is much quicker than a c-section and that would be great since this time around I'll have Mackenzie to care for along with the baby. More importantly, my doctor and hospital are willing to do a VBAC if that's what I choose, given that Meredith is in the head down position.

So, what do we do now? We wait. We wait 2 more weeks and maybe even a couple more after that to see if a VBAC is possible. Waiting...very annoying. Luckily I have a busy next few weeks at work, so hopefully I won't have time to focus on the what ifs.

2 comments:

  1. I've never had a c-section, but if your doctors think it's safe and feel comfortable with that option, I would DEFINITELY go that way. My #1 desire with Indy's birth was to have a vaginal birth because I knew I didn't want to have surgery if it could be avoided. Our bodies are designed to have babies. Trust your body.

    Plus, recovering from surgery AND taking care of a newborn seems way too much. I was tired and sore after delivery, but on my feet very soon after and able to do what fairly soon. Baring an complications, I think you'd be happiest with a VBAC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to what Virginie said! Definitely do VBAC if at all possible. You will think your recovery is a breeze compared to what you had to go through with the C-Section. I know labor is scary to think about when you never actually went through it before. But you can do it! I'll be praying for a quick and easy delivery for you!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment and let me know you were here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...