Monday, June 13, 2011

Gymnastics

Mackenzie has never been a daring child - never really climbed anything, doesn't really like to sit up high (except for on Brandon's shoulders), doesn't jump in the pool...she just doesn't seem to need that adrenaline rush. I'm pretty sure she gets that from me, seeing as how I'm not daring either...no water sports, no roller coasters, no motorcycles, etc.

A couple of weeks ago we went to that birthday party I mentioned at the Little Gym. I didn't really know what to expect, so I know she didn't either. For those who have never been, it has a big mat on the floor, balancing beams, bars to swing on, and things to climb - all things gymnastic. Surprise, surprise...Mackenzie really only liked running around on the mat and going through the tunnel and the balance beam. She was very good at the balance beam - I was impressed.

One of the activities they did was put a few kids at a time on a small mat and roll them across the large mat as fast as they could. I convinced Mackenzie to do it once, but not a second time.

video
I could not convince her to do a flip over a large round mat that they had. This required the child to lay on their belly at the top of the circle (about 5 feet in the air) and let the girls roll the mat around until their head hit the next mat and they could finish up with a flip. Mackenzie took one look at that and said no.

She also didn't care for the jumping thing until after it was blown up. Luckily, one of the girls running the show noticed that Mackenzie was not liking it being blown up while they were all sitting on it and offered to hold her. Mackenzie gladly accepted.
video
So, the lesson learned for this event is...no gymnastics as of yet. I think we'll just stick with dance for now. Although, we will still have to work on stage fright! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment and let me know you were here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...