Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Sure, I'll sit in time out.

Today I discovered that Mackenzie doesn't mind sitting in time out. Nope...it doesn't bother her one bit!

Her virus finally moved to strep throat and now she has medicine that will heal her! Yippee! (i'm not happy she's sick - I'm just happy there's medicine that will make the illness go away!) The problem is she's so sick of taking medicine since she's been taking it several times a day for the last 5 days.

I spent a good 5 minutes trying to hold her down and give her antibiotics and finally sent her to time out until she took her medicine. She went to time out with no problem and didn't even care when I turned off the TV. She cried for a little while, but I think that was just left over from fighting me and the medicine. After a couple of minutes I tried it again, with no such luck, so she went back to time out.

After about 5 minutes in time out with not a word from her, I called Brandon to see what he had to do yesterday when he was home with her by herself. He said it was a huge fight with her every time she needed medicine. He also informed me that the time out doesn't do anything to her, but she hates being sent to her room by herself.

Ah hah! I hung up the phone and gave Mackenzie the ultimatum - her room or the medicine. She said she didn't want the medicine so I picked her up and said she was going to her room. She cried even more at that and so I asked if she wanted to take her medicine - and finally she said yes. We stood in the hallway while she took her medicine in all of about 20 seconds.

It looks like "go to your room" will be my new punishment phrase. With medicine twice a day for the next 10 days, it looks like I'll get to say that another 19 times! ;)

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I hate the liquid medicines! I remember those struggles so well! I was so relieved when the kids could take pills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to say that I'm glad she is on the mend now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are in the same boat. Kate gladly goes to time out, and will even put herself in time out. I tried putting her most beloved toys in time out for the rest of the day, and that had some impact, but then she forgot about them completely. Sigh. Let me know if you figure something out that works.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment and let me know you were here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...