Thursday, February 10, 2011

Reply All

As I'm sure most of you know, sometimes its important to use the "reply all" button when responding to an email. There are time, at work for instance, when you want everyone on the team to see what you are saying so that everyone is aware of the full story. Other times, one only needs to hit the "reply" button to respond to the sender only.

You have to be careful of "reply all", though. It can cause problems if you aren't careful.

I can think of one time when I hit "reply all" to an email a contractor wrote, feeling completely sure of myself that he had made a mistake in his previous email. Much to my dismay, he was right and so I felt stupid that I had replied to everyone just like he did when he inturn corrected me! In the end, this wasn't that big of a deal. I'm probably the only one that remembers it, really.

A team member on my project however was not so lucky today. Yesterday an email was sent using the "reply all" feature, accidentally listing her to do list (both personal and business). She later wrote an email saying to disregard the previous email, but the damage was done - everyone had already seen it. I really feel for her. No one wants everyone to see everything that you write down to remember. There are somethings that are probably meant for your eyes only.

Anyways, I hope it never happens to me and this should be a lesson to all: Be careful when using "reply all".

Oh and don't keep your personal and business to do list all in one on your PDA - or at least don't write everything little thing down!

1 comment:

  1. One of my biggest pet peeves is when people intentionally reply all when it really has nothing to do with me or didn't need to be said anyways!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment and let me know you were here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...