Monday, July 12, 2010

Sayings

A couple of weeks ago I had nursery duty at our church. One of the little girls, who will remain nameless (Tara, if you are reading this - it's your daughter!), made a "jello cake" out of legos. Below is our conversation:

Her: Would you like to try some of my jello cake?

Me: Of course! Can I have the green piece? (Pointing to the green Lego)
Her: No. You get what you get and you don't throw a fit! (She then gave me a yellow Lego)

I absolutely love this phrase! I've heard similar, "you get what you get and you'll like it". I want to use the "don't throw a fit" one with Mackenzie because it's more realistic - I won't always expect her to like what she gets, but I will expect her to not throw a fit. It will be a phrase I will use often...but hopefully not too often. ;)

My dad had funny phrases he used to say when we were growing up. One of his favorites was:
"you smell like a goat!"
I remember hearing it a lot - mainly toward my brother, of course. I NEVER smelled like a goat. What does a goat smell like anyway? Never mind, I think I know. ;)

Another favorite phrase:
"you're cruisin' for a bruisin' "
Looking back at this one, it's probably not the greatest phrase to say to your child (depending on the domestic situation), but for our family it was all in good fun. It was usually said as a joke or as kind of a warning that we were pushing it just a little too far.

I think I'll just stick with the "you get what you get" phrase. I'm sure I'll add more as the years go by, but for now, I'm good. What kind of phrases will you use?

1 comment:

  1. Emily's saying is one I used with my Kindergarteners and 2nd graders. Another one they loved (or hated) was when I would give directions and asked if they understood, I would say, "Easy Cheesy" and they would follow with "Lemon Squeezy." Kind of like, "Get it?" "Yes." "Good."

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment and let me know you were here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...