Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Dresses

I used to wear dresses all the time. "Used to" meaning when I was skinny. Before I was pregnant with Mackenzie, I had stopped wearing dresses mainly because I became self-conscious of my pale, white skin and the weight I had gained.

Then I got pregnant. For those who don't know, when you are pregnant, you pretty much will wear what's cool and comfortable. For me, this meant no waistband, ie: dresses. Once I had Mackenzie, I was back to my old clothes without any dresses.

Last year I bought this dress and it became my favorite.
I wore it at least every other week to work and probably would have worn it every week, but I didn't want to look like I didn't have any clothes.

A few months ago, I finally decided that I needed to wear dresses again, no matter my skin tone or weight. I also told myself that if I wasn't going to do anything about my flappy upper arms, then I can't be self conscious about them. Therefore I might as well wear cool, comfortable, sleeveless tops/dresses in the Houston heat and humidity.

So, I started with these two dresses - sleeveless and knee length:

I really like the style of the black and white one and love the colors in the grey/green dress. My shoes that I blogged about last week with my "chubby ankle" are perfect with the grey/green dress.
Since I've bought those dresses, I've pretty much worn one of them every week. Along with a couple of skirts I have, my wardrobe has become much cooler, despite my office being an ice box!

Then, we went to the outlet mall this past Sunday and look at what I found on sale!
The brown dress is a linen fabric and I think I'll be able to dress it up or dress it down.
This one is my absolute favorite. I wore it yesterday and it was soooo nice. I didn't feel I had to suck in and yet it appeared to make me look thinner. ;) I had some brown metallic shoes from several years ago that matched perfectly. My bank account and I love when that happens. ;)

For whatever reason, wearing dresses makes me feel good about myself. I think maybe I feel more feminine or that my outfit is complete. Whatever the reason, I think I'll continue to build my dress collection back up.

2 comments:

  1. I love dresses too! Mom always rolls her eyes at me when I wear a dress "just because it's Tuesday!" They are so much cooler and AMEN to the NOT TOUCHING!!!!! hahahaha I love the brown one...if you ever get tired of it, send it my way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love dresses, too! I especially like the last one you posted. Love the brown and bright pink. I've thought about letting my arms show. Just not sure I'm ready yet. lol

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment and let me know you were here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...