Sunday, March 14, 2010

Earls and Ladies and Castles, Oh My!

When I was a junior in High School, my English teacher had all of us do a small genealogy project. We had to go back 5 generations, including ourselves. For me, this was super easy since my great grandparents were still alive. All I needed were the names of my great grandfather's parents and siblings. We obviously had to do other stuff also but as far as creating the family tree, that was easy for me. This project spurred on my interest in researching my family tree and going further than just 5 generations. In college I sent out letters to all of my family members asking questions about their immediate family and bought a genealogy/family tree program so that I could track everyone on my computer. A few years ago, I got a new updated program and was working on the family tree again. I was able to make further progress, but wasn't willing to pay any extra money for any of the online programs that help with tracing your genealogy.

That all changed last week when I was at home with Mackenzie. I decided I would use some of my birthday money to buy a one year subscription here. In less than a week, I have traced my grandmother's family name all the way back to the 1200's in Scotland. Apparently the Gordon Family was once Earls and Ladies and lived in Castles! I think this is really cool and can't wait to dig a little deeper with each person to see what else I find.

I'm also planning to look at all of the lines in my tree as well as Brandon's line. My ultimate goal in all of this is to print a book with the trees, family sheets, pictures and any stories I have of any family member. My aunt's mother-in-law once showed us a book she had made of her family tree and I really liked it. I think it would be awesome to have this history wrapped up all in one book and pass it on to my children. I've already started adding a few pictures here and there for the family members I have photos of. The pictures I'm scanning of my great-grandmothers will also be added.

If you have the time, I highly recommend researching your family genealogy. I think it gives you a whole new perspective on your family and how far they've come. I realize my family is no longer earls and ladies of Scotland, but they did make the trek to the states and with out that, I would not be here!

2 comments:

  1. What a great project! My Granny and her sisters tracked their family tree back to England in the 1600's. It's neat to see the good (and not so good) that you're kin to! Granny's efforts got all of us into the DAR. I'm so glad you are adding stories and photos. What a treasure for Mackenzie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you're doing that! Chloe has been wanting to know more about our family geneology. Am I the Aunt you were referring to? Didn't remember showing you the book Steve's Mom made. Just curious. Can't wait to learn more from you about the Gordon side.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment and let me know you were here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...