Tuesday, March 9, 2010

8 percent

During my senior year at A&M I took a photography class where I learned how to use an SLR camera and adjust shutter speeds, apertures and all that good stuff. My mother-in-law let me use her camera for the class and I still have it. It just occurred to me that I may not have actually asked to permanently keep the camera. (Cindy, let me know if you need it back.)

Anyways, I used it along with my rather large digital camera until I received my small digital camera for graduation from grad school. Once I got the small digital camera, I rarely used my film camera. I was so excited when I got my digital SLR camera last year because I was really looking forward to using the manual settings. While I was super excited about it, I actually never really used it.

A year later, I finally touched the manual setting. I had another mini photo shoot with Mackenzie outside and kept the camera only on the manual settings. The problem with using the manual settings while taking pictures of a 17 month old, is that they move too much!!! ;) By the time I looked at the light meter and adjusted the shutter speed and f-stop, Mackenzie had changed positions, looked the other way or had quit smiling altogether. I took 38 photos and only about 3 pictures are worth printing. That's approximately 8%! It's a good thing it's digital otherwise I would have wasted A LOT of film!

This morning I played with the manual settings while inside - which is kind of difficult to get right with so little natural light inside. This time it was only 1 or 2 photos of about 40.

Slowly, but surely I'll get better. Maybe by this time next year I'll be using the manual setting much more and will have some awesome pictures. In the meantime, here are the few photos that were decent from the manual settings.




1 comment:

  1. Good for you for trying! I'm as slow as molasses with manual settings so I use Av mode the most. I love having all of those options to fiddle with and not rely on the flash--I never knew how much I hated the flash until I started using a DSLR.

    These came out great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment and let me know you were here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...