Friday, February 12, 2010

Friday Flashback - Grad School

In the fall of 2002, I started grad school at the University of Houston. Brandon and I moved into an apartment over near Reliant Stadium and lived there for 3 years while I earned my Master of Architecture.

We'll start with the goofiest picture ever! Me and Dustin - Brandon's youngest brother.

Notice how I haven't a clue that he is making this face? We had a digital camera, but I don't recall looking at the photo after we took it. Only after I got home and loaded the pictures onto my camera did I realize what happened. Everytime I look at this picture it makes me laugh. I'll have to post a picture of Dustin's normal face, so you can actually see what he looks like.

I think I might have posted this next picture before, but oh well. The January after we moved to Houston, my parents started having "Family Dinners" once a month. On the 15th of every month we would have dinner at my parents' house. All of us. All 10-12 of us. It didn't matter what day of the week it was, we all gathered, ate dinner and visited with each other. It was really nice to get back in touch with my step sisters and visit with everyone each month.
This particular photo is from October's family dinner. I think it happened to be on a Friday or Saturday and so we all carved pumpkins. It had been forever since I had carved a pumpkin and we all had a lot of fun. The funny thing about the pumpkin is that we took it home and sat it on our patio at our apartment and about a week later we noticed that the face was caved in (you could see our patio from the parking lot). We actually thought someone had kicked it in and I was a little upset about that, until we opened the door and noticed the smell! Of course in the Houston heat, the pumpkin had rotted and smelled awful! Trying to pick it up and throw it away was horrible. That could be why I haven't carved a pumpkin since! ;)

My first summer of grad school (and into my second fall and spring), we had to do a design build project. My class designed a storage unit/scoring desk for a local Baseball Little League here in Houston. This is me and one of my classmates taking a water break while on site working on one of the many, MANY Saturdays I worked. I wore jeans and work boots almost every Saturday for about 9 months! I'll have to dig up a finished photo one day. For now this will do! :)

Me and Granddaddy. He is actually my great grandfather and this was Christmas 2004. He passed away November 2005. I'll have to do another post on him and Grandmother soon.


Yay - Graduation Day. This picture is much better than my A&M Graduation photo! We actually graduated in the Architecture building at UH, so it was a small ceremony and clearly, Brandon was able to get a lot closer for my picture!

Well that covers 2002-2005. Next week won't be that much of a flashback since it's within the last 4-5 years, but it's still a flashback. This week was fairly easy because I had all of the pictures digitally from my cameras. If you don't already know, I LOVE photos. I have really liked doing these Friday Flashbacks and so I'm looking for more pictures! I actually took home a bag full of photos that were my great grandmother's. I'm going to sort through them soon and scan a lot of them in. I can't wait to see what kind of memories it stirs up about the people or events in the pictures. I think that's what I love most about looking at photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment and let me know you were here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...