Thursday, February 4, 2010

Early Dismissal, New shoes, Locked out

A week ago Monday, Mackenzie's School called at 2:30 to say taht there was a power outage in the area and that they wer closing. 25 minutes into my 30 minute drive to the school, they called to say the power was back on. Too late...I'm already almost there.

At about 3:30, I decided we had time to go to the store and buy new shoes for Mackenzie. We went to the outlet mall and Mackenzie enjoyed walking around outside in her new shoes. When we got home around 5:15, Mackenzie wanted to play outside. Instead of playing in the front yard like we normally do, we went straight to the backyard. After about 10 minutes, I decided we needed to go inside to get dinner ready.

Change of plans - I had locked us out of the house! Luckily I had my phone in my pocket, so I called Brandon. Per Brandon (who was in Huntsville), these were my options:
1. wait 1 1/2 hours for him (outside or at neighbors)
2. call a locksmith
3. Call a friend to pick us up.

Number 1 wasn't really an option since we don't know our neighbors and it was getting dark and cold outside. Number 2 was a possibility , but only if number 3 didn't work out. The issue with number 3 of course, is calling a friend who owned a carseat and could leave their child with their husband to pick us up. We called Erin, and despite having a 15 month old AND a 2 month old, she graciously came and pickd us up! She even bought (I had only my phone) dinner for Mackenzie since she hadn't eaten since before we left for the store. Since Mackenzie and Liz are about the same age, we even used one of their diapers and had Brandon not shown up shortly after we arrived, then we might ahve used her pajamas too! Thank you Erin, Gregg, Liz and Bladen for being so nice and generous!

We finally got home around 7:45 - gave Mackenzie a batha nd put her to bed. Brandon and I ate dinner after that and then I went to bed since I still had to fly to Dallas the next day! What a long firs day of the work week!

Lesson learned: We need to give one of our friends a key to our house so that if we get locked out again, ti's not as big of a hassle for everyone. Oh, and always, ALWAYS take your keys when going outside!

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad Erin was able to pick you and Makenzie up, and also that you didn't have to stay outside too long!

    I'll try to make this a learning experience for myself as well. Main point: a neighbor needs to have a spare key just in case. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice to have such good friends!! I know you felt like it was a long day! When Chloe was about 10 months old I locked her in the car (with the keys)when I was at a resale shop. She was happy as a clam, just smiling and laughing at me while I watched her. A policeman came and we waited for Steve to WAKEUP and drive frantically to find us. He passed us and another customers got in her car and drove to flag him down. Thankfully I was parked in the shade and Chloe was a cheerful baby. Otherwise the window would have been broken in to. The customer thought I was crazy for not just breaking the window open immediately, but I had the policeman on my side. Don't remember now why he couldn't open the door, guess he didn't have his slim jim thingy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW, I should have made the point, whenever there is a child involved the police will come to help unlock; otherwise you are on your own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We (I mean Matthew) put up a keypad at our old house that you could use to open the garage door. Its even better than someone else having a key, you don't have to worry about getting in touch with whoever has your spare.
    It would have been nice to have one here last year when I locked myself outside one night after Mallory was in bed. I ended up climbing in a window and landing in the kitchen sink!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment and let me know you were here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...