Saturday, February 27, 2010

Do you feel older?

Well, today is the day...I'm 30. The inevitable question is, "Do you feel older?"

There are the obvious signs I'm older:

1. I have lots of grey hair! Well, most of the time I keep my hair colored so that you don't see the greys, although currently my roots clearly show that I have grey hair. I guess this statement may not really count since I've had some grey hair since college!
2. I also can't eat like I used to in my teens and early 20's without gaining 20 pounds! Clearly that piece of chocolate cake every night for 2 weeks was ok when I was 22, but at 30 - not so good for the hips!
3. I have a child. This statement doesn't clearly say I'm older or younger since people have kids at ALL ages, but for me it's a sign that I'm older.
4. I hardly ever stay up late. If I go to bed past 10 on a week night or 11:00 on a weekend, I'm really surprised at myself. It's normally because I'm really into a book, something I'm looking at on the internet or because I can't sleep. Some of this probably has to do with the fact that I won't be able to sleep in even if I go to sleep late. It's funny how #3 above has a way of affecting your sleep habits! ;)
5. I think the most obvious sign that I'm older would be the phrases I've said recently. You know the ones where you reference your childhood or how many years ago something happened. I'll give you my most recent example:

coworker: do you want to buy some girl scout cookies?
me: sure, how much are they?
coworker: $3.50
me: Wow, 20 years ago when I sold cookies, they were only $1.25.

The sad thing is, that is a completely true statement! It's been 20 years since I've sold girl scout cookies!!! Well, it's not really SAD, it's just that I didn't expect to hear myself say it and it surprised me.

So, to get back to "do you feel older?"...no, not really. Sure, I feel older than 20, and I can't do a lot of the same things I did when I was 20, but I'm ok with that. I feel great and I'm happy. I know I've made a big deal about turning 30, but I feel very accomplished in my life so far and I know things are only going to get better as the years go by!

Hello 30!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment and let me know you were here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...