Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Bubbles

In Mackenzie's bible class we are studying Noah. At the end we sing about God's promise to never flood the earth again and how he sent a rainbow. Our demonstration of rainbows is to use bubbles. The kids absolutely love it! I didn't realize Mackenzie even knew what bubbles were until we went to bible class. She even knew how to say bubbles, so that was something new for me as well.

With this in mind, I decided to give Mackenzie a bubble bath a couple of weeks ago. While the tub is starting to fill up, she's leaning over and looking at the water and bubbles and seems happy.

Did you notice the word "seems"? I thought for sure she would love it and really thought so until I picked her up and put her in the tub! Then I was aware that she was actually scared! She immediately started turning around and reaching for me to pick her up and take her out of the tub.

I didn't take her out. Do you think I'm a mean mom? ;) I started draining the water and left the water running to fill up with fresh water, but I continued to bathe her and wash her hair. She cried the entire time I was doing this. What about now - do you think I'm mean now?

By the time she was clean, most of the bubbles were gone and she actually played happily in the fresh, bubble free water for another 5 or 10 minutes. After her bath, I retired the bubble bath to the cabinet under the sink and we haven't had a bubble bath since!

She did cry a little the next day when I first put her in the tub, but after I reassured her that there were no bubbles in the water, she stopped crying.

It's amazing to me the little things that set her off. They seem so random to me, but I'm sure there's something behind it. I think the bubble thing could be not being able to see the bottom of the tub. That of course, is just my opinion and can't be verified until she's older and we try again. Hopefully I haven't scarred her for life! ;)

1 comment:

  1. You're not alone. Kate did the SAME THING when we tried a bubble bath. Screamed and cried bloody murder! I still don't understand it, but we haven't tried again.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment and let me know you were here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...