Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Bumper Stickers

The other day I was behind a car that had the following two bumper stickers:

I don't need to be threatened with Hell to be moral.

Keep your faith-based god out of my reality-based life.


I don't normally care what bumper stickers say, but these two really irritated me. I realize everyone has the right to their own opinion, but I can't help but feel that this person has it all wrong.
First, I am not threatened by Hell. That is NOT what makes me moral. It's the exact opposite - I feel LOVED! God loves us and wants what's best for us and therefore I want to do whats best for me because I love God. Hell is a consequence, but it does not run my life! Kids behave not because they don't want to be punished, but because they want the praise and love of their parents when they do the right thing. If every action was controlled by the fear or threat of being punished, nothing in this world would get accomplished. God's love is what keeps me moral, NOT the threat of Hell.
Second, just because I have a "faith-based god" does not mean I don't live in reality. If anything it makes me realize how REAL my life is. My faith in God makes me a better person and better able to cope in the "reality-based life" we all have. This world is full of temptation and sin everywhere you turn. I understand my reality. I understand that people are going to do what they want to do. I understand that everyone is not going to believe in everything I believe in. I understand that there will always be temptations in my life that will keep me from being the Christian I should be. BUT, my faith in God helps me to see this and helps me to believe that I can do better and that I can overcome the sin and reality of this world.
I don't normally post about my Christianity and beliefs, not because I don't want to, I just tend to keep it neutral. But these bumper stickers really bothered me. If someone can be so bold about their non-christian beliefs, why can't I be bold about my christian beliefs? We have to face our "reality" and step up for what we believe in, because I'm pretty sure that car didn't have the only 2 bumper stickers of it's kind.

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment and let me know you were here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...