Thursday, October 9, 2008

2 week check up

So, I know this is a little late considering Mackenzie is now 3 weeks old, but last Friday we took her for her 2 week check up. She is now (was) 7 pounds 10 3/4 ounces and 21 inches long. She left the hospital weighing 6 pounds 13 ounces, so she gained almost a whole pound and grew 1 1/2 inches in 2 weeks! Everything at the appointment went well, but I hve to share something that really surprized me and I would like some opinions from the other mothers reading this blog.

Mackenzie goes back on November 18 for her 2 month ckeck up and to get vaccinated. Our pediatrician said that until she's vaccinated she shouldn't be out in public. I though this was very strange and a little much. Am I being selfish because I don't want to be cooped up in this house for two thirds of my maternity leave? According to the doctor we shouldn't taker her to church, the grocery store or anywher with large crwods. Call me crazy, but I would like for people to meet Mackenzie before she's 2 months old! I don't want to get Mackenzie sick, but at the same time I feel like the doctor is being way too strict. I've seen tons of babies younger thatn 2 months out in public. Should I stop my complaining and stay indoors until November? Should I ask for vaciinations early? Should I ingnore the doctor and go out anyway?

I think one of the things that annoys me about teh vaccination is that the doctor would vaccinate her early if I had to be back at work in 6 weeks. I guess I feel like because I have 3 months of maternity leave, I'm being punished to have to stay indoors. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE spending time with Mackenzie, but I also want to go to church, see my friends, and show off my daughter! Am I being selfish? Tell me what you think.

8 comments:

  1. I don't remember our doc specifically saying that we shouldn't take Mallory out until she had her shots, but we didn't get out a whole lot at first. We waited until after she was a month old to go to church. If we had gone to second service where there were more people, we might have waited longer. It was at about 1 month when we started getting out much at all. If it had not been the middle of winter when people are sick, we might have gotten out earlier. It definitely doesn't hurt to be cautious, because no one wants a sick newborn and its a good reason to send Brandon to the grocery store.

    Different people have lots of different opinions on this. Don't feel bad about whatever you choose, I know Mackenzie is in great hands!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trust yourself. God gave you good sense to be Mackenzie's momma. Remember that. Use good sense. It will be winter time, and people don't stay home when they're sick, so be careful. But also be realistic. And trust yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got the same verdict from my doc. He was a CLOSE friend of ours (with Ty). He told us not to take him out until 6 wks and Wal-mart was a Cardinal sin! However we did.
    You can do by cutting a few corners like NOT letting anyone hold her while you are out. We kept Ty in his car seat (then unbuckled him and held him AFTER church started) and had him packed back up before it was over...people are less inclined to ask to hold a baby that is strapped in a car seat vs. taking them from your arms. There are a few other tricks...But honestly it's your call. However for SANITY sakes I got out of the house...I don't like being copped up. We went on alot walks when we was newborn just so I could breath fresh air.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No - You are absolutely NOT being selfish. Now remember my opinions about outings are tainted from having preemies... but this is what we did. We went to the pumpkin patch 2 weeks after they came home. We went to church 3 weeks after they came home. We started going to mall about a month and a half after they came home. At church, I kept them either in my arms or the carrier until after flu season. IF people came over then they could hold the boys, but in public I did not want them passed around with dirty hands. So that's my two cents! And I think it is good for momma's mental health to see something other that the four walls of your house. :)
    LOVE YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would go again and ask for the vaccinations early. No question. If he could give them early, it makes no sense not to. You shouldn't feel guilty for doing the logical thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So I've never been a mom, but I 100% agree with V. If they can do vaccinations early sometimes, they can do them early all the time. That's craziness to be locked up until November.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having done some vaccination research with Gabe being autistic, I wouldn't get early vaccines. I'd put them off if I could or seperate them. That being said, we took Hope out every day for two weeks after she came home. That was in February during flu season. We went to Babies R Us (the day after we came home), Wal Mart, craft stores, etc. I put her in my ring sling where I could cover her up when needed and make it look like she was sleeping. We went out a little less after that but only because by then I was a little sleep deprived. We took her to church on a Wednesday night when there were less people at two weeks. I say go out and be careful. Who cares what the doc thinks, is he going to not see you anymore if you go out?? Show off your sweet girl and enjoy every moment. You are not a stupid mom and you can make wise choices!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of good advice here already--and we didn't have a newborn, so...
    maybe see if you can go ahead soon and get her first shots. Keep her wrapped up well and maybe let people look but not hold yet--is that possible? Okay, clearly I have no idea. Keep us posted. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment and let me know you were here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...